Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   New User Introductions (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Another Old Guy with an Old Gun (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=23797)

Michael D Cochran 03-26-2018 11:32 PM

Another Old Guy with an Old Gun

When my Grandfather died in 1966 his seldom used Parker 16 ga. shotgun from 1924 became my Grandmothers night time protection that lived under her bed. As time went on and a house alarm system was added it found it's way to the family room wall and there it stayed until she passed in 1990.
It then became mine though I had no desire to or experience hunting foul. It remained on the wall for another 20 years before I had the desire to take it out and try it out. It wasn't easy finding 16 ga. ammo at first but I finally did at Bass Pro and after talking to a few people who know more than myself about it I found some upland game shells in the lowest ft/sec I could find. I still don't hunt and I have not taken up skeet or trap shooting but I have taken it to the outdoor range when I go plinking with a mid 1930's Savage Model 29 and my more recent 10/22 TD. I was surprised by how nice this DB 16 fired, snappy but not too hard on the shoulder, light weight and easy to hold. Of course, it always draws attention when friends and strangers see it. Here are some details:
I believe it is a Grade 0. Serial #207685 dated 1924
VH frame
VS barrels 27 15/16"
There are other marks if that would help tell the story of this 'ol gal.

Fell free the educate me and comment if you can help.

Mike McKinney 03-26-2018 11:56 PM

We,d love to see some photos and we will do our best to welcome and give you some thoughts.

Michael D Cochran 03-27-2018 01:17 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Don't know why this photo is upside down. Will get some better pics later.

Russell E. Cleary 03-27-2018 02:04 AM

However scant your experience with shotguns is, it sounds like you have the soul of a vintage gun fancier. And, you are fortunate to have a wonderful-sounding legacy side-by-side, enabling you to develop an emergent passion.

If you enjoy plinking at stationary targets with a .22, you surely should try breaking moving targets with that 16-gauge. Take it from me, you can be a pathetic shot and still have a zest for breaking airborne clay targets and downing the occasional live game-bird.

Consider joining the Parker Gun Collectors Association, if you have not already done so -- the knowledge to be gained and helpfulness is inestimable.

Dean Romig 03-27-2018 08:00 AM

Unfortunately Michael, the PGCA has no information on your serial number upon which to base a research letter. From the picture your VH looks to be in "un-messed with" condition and it was most likely made with 28" barrels.

Mike Franzen 04-10-2018 10:58 AM

That’s a great looking set of guns. I had that same rifle only it had a clip magazine. One thing that works on pics posting correctly is to crop them a little. Take pictures that allow you to crop the sides while enlarging the image. Everyone is thirsty to see more pics of that beautiful Parker.

Mills Morrison 04-10-2018 11:01 AM

Very nice gun! I hope you will consider joining PGCA and enjoy your time here

Michael D Cochran 04-10-2018 10:47 PM

Thank you all. I currently have two recently broken digital cameras so no way to get more pics yet. Hope to fix that soon.

edgarspencer 04-11-2018 10:05 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Franzen (Post 240588)
I had that same rifle only it had a clip magazine.

Mike, was your .22 like this one?
This one belongs to a joint-venture partnership. The other partner feeds me missing parts annually. It's almost back together. We need to enlist a certain "machinist" to manufacture a new take-down thumbscrew.

Dean Romig 04-11-2018 10:38 AM

You haven't contracted him yet?