Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   Hunting with Parkers (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Turkey Report (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=23930)

Randy G Roberts 05-14-2018 08:54 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Prior to the season I had mentioned that I had hopes of tagging a long bead with a Parker. Never pursued turkeys with a SxS before as I have stuck with archery equipment for the last several years. The beginning of turkey season here in IN and the Southern are the same weekends so that week was a no go.
I did get to go out a little the following weekend but the birds did not read the packaging on my decoys and reacted in a totally inappropriate manner, stupid birds ! Finally on the last morning of the season it all came together and I was able to call this long beard in. Appeared to be a 3 year old with an 11" beard. I was using RST ammo with 1 1/4 oz of #4 in my 34" VHE. In as much as I love those long barrels I have to admit they are not made for carrying through the woods. Not real handy in a blind either. No matter how far back I sat in that blind I still had a lot of barrel protruding which is not a real issue until you have to move from window A to Window B then it gets a little tricky. I'm gonna need a bigger blind or get that move perfected for next year.

charlie cleveland 05-14-2018 10:03 AM

great storey of the hunt and a nice bird indeed....i agree with you long barrels are not easy to carry around in the woods...charlie

Todd Poer 05-14-2018 11:01 AM

Awesome reports. Wish I could have gotten out this year to chase them but not able to for all kind of the wrong and indefensible reason. Glad to hear of some of the great successful harvests, the successful outings with family and ole Jerry giving up a bird in the hand for hopefully a greater good. Btw I'm certain Jerry felt he got whacked a little with a boat paddle to give up the bird.

Reminded of the story Jeff Foxworthy told about bass fishing with Jerry Reed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wy7uDPSQyQU

BTw Phil that is awesome you hunting turkey's in Arizona by the Grand Canyon. I had no idea there was even hunt-able population of birds even in that region of the country.

Gerald McPherson 05-16-2018 10:01 AM

Well its over and I didn't tag out but I sure enjoyed trying.This was my fourth season hunting turkeys I don't know why I didn't start years earlier but I just sat around listening to them gobble. Finally about half way through the first season I decided to give it a try and found it was a lot of fun. The birds that I hunt rarely gobble but they will often come in quietly because of coyotes I believe as they will also come in quietly. Just yesterday thought about how many days until dove season. Sure hope I am able to do it again next year. One good turkey equals maybe a hundred doves and I like turkey better. My wife has begun to like it also. My daughter who is eating organic food only thought I had cooked some of her chicken ate some and thought it was the best chicken she had ever eaten. About two hours later I told her it was wild turkey and it was as organic as it gets. She had a fit. Go figure.

Randy G Roberts 05-16-2018 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gerald McPherson (Post 243973)
Well its over and I didn't tag out but I sure enjoyed trying.This was my fourth season hunting turkeys I don't know why I didn't start years earlier but I just sat around listening to them gobble. Finally about half way through the first season I decided to give it a try and found it was a lot of fun. The birds that I hunt rarely gobble but they will often come in quietly because of coyotes I believe as they will also come in quietly. Just yesterday thought about how many days until dove season. Sure hope I am able to do it again next year. One good turkey equals maybe a hundred doves and I like turkey better. My wife has begun to like it also. My daughter who is eating organic food only thought I had cooked some of her chicken ate some and thought it was the best chicken she had ever eaten. About two hours later I told her it was wild turkey and it was as organic as it gets. She had a fit. Go figure.

Gerald I pulled a similar prank many years ago on my girls only I used beef tongue. Figured it would be good for a laugh and that would be the end of it.
They loved it and now they ask me to fix it on a regular basis, go figure. Hang in there with the turkeys, they are similar to Parkers in that they can both be addicting.

Jim Pasman 05-16-2018 12:41 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Northern New Hampshire is full of turkeys this season......often 5 toms in the field at once now, with other hens roosting, only one hen as a companion. Poor thing gets lots of attention. Two pictures; this year's tom (May 7) registered at 22lbs, 10" beard, 1 1/2" spurs (1903 VH 12ga, Polywad low brass #6, 2 3/4 dram shell) and the other picture is just three of the toms with the hens in April before they bedded down. To be honest, I sit on the edge of the field, do a little clucking and this year's tom came within 20yds in less than an hour. Don't be jealous, it's not always that way....

Shawn Wayment 05-16-2018 06:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Pasman (Post 243991)
Northern New Hampshire is full of turkeys this season......often 5 toms in the field at once now, with other hens roosting, only one hen as a companion. Poor thing gets lots of attention. Two pictures; this year's tom (May 7) registered at 22lbs, 10" beard, 1 1/2" spurs (1903 VH 12ga, Polywad low brass #6, 2 3/4 dram shell) and the other picture is just three of the toms with the hens in April before they bedded down. To be honest, I sit on the edge of the field, do a little clucking and this year's tom came within 20yds in less than an hour. Don't be jealous, it's not always that way....

I'm certainly jealous!! :whistle: Congrats

charlie cleveland 05-16-2018 09:04 PM

thats a great looking bird and gun....you called him in close....great.....charlie

Jim Pasman 05-18-2018 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by charlie cleveland (Post 244027)
thats a great looking bird and gun....you called him in close....great.....charlie

There's a little story behind the gun, Charlie. Got it for the price of taking it out of a good friend's attic in 2009. Been stored there over 20 yrs in a too tight Redhead case and covered in dusty rust with a broken wrist, bores not too bad. Took her home, used the RX instruction on the PGCA website, repaired the stock, cleaned her inside and out and had my first Parker. I call her "Ruthie" after the lady who gave it to me.

Mike Franzen 05-18-2018 02:21 PM

Great pics and story. Julia and I think of you often and the nights around the campfire sipping bourbon and burning cigars. Thanks for posting that.