Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   Hunting with Parkers (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Mearns Quail Hunting in Southern Arizona (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=40748)

George Davis 12-23-2023 09:14 AM

Mearns Quail Hunting in Southern Arizona

I started hunting Mearns Quail in Southern Arizona in 1975 and this year is the "WOREST". Years of drought and cattle over grazing has really impacted the habitat and wildlife is paying the price. The other negative is the number of guiding outfits and hunters, Arizona Fish and Game needs to lower limits and shorten the season.

Steve E. Faber 12-23-2023 04:50 PM

My last trip there was 2006. Took my 80 yr old dad and hunted with a buddy who lived at Elgin, AZ. We hunted the Coronado NF and did really well and never saw another soul, but the illegals crossing our border were fast becomming a serious problem. Trash all along their migration paths through the NF. Haven't been back since.

George Davis 12-25-2023 09:21 AM

Thanks to our current President you can't find a border patrol agent. New American Residents are everywhere!

I will hunt the 26th and I'm afraid it'll be my last Arizona Mearns hunting trip at my age small chance the they will recovery in my lifetime. However the beautiful scenery of his area and wine tasting tours will always draw me to Cochise and Sana Cruz Counties.

Steve E. Faber 12-25-2023 10:18 AM

Hey Scott, Merry CHRISTmas! At 74, I'm not too old to hunt that country anymore, it just doesn't appeal to me with all the illegal traffic there. I agree, it sure is some handsome country. I'll leave it to the younger bird hunters.

Travis Sims 12-29-2023 02:02 PM

I'm hoping to go one of these days. Try and get that off my bucket list.

Garry L Gordon 12-29-2023 05:03 PM

Met a gent in the MN Northwoods this past season— 78 and going hard. Go while you can, as often as you can. The trout don’t rise in Greenwood Cemetery, nor do the quail flush. :)

Steve E. Faber 12-29-2023 05:23 PM

Garry, your advice is right as rain. I have a left knee demanding immediate attention, so have a date with an orthopaedic doc January 4th. Hopefully, he can banish the pain for a couple of months to afford me more time chasing quail and ducks this winter. I have mainly been chasing and catching largemouth from my 12' kayak the last month. Hand loaded some TSS for a 28 side by side that I am excited to use on mallards and geese.

Mike Koneski 12-29-2023 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Travis Sims (Post 402061)
I'm hoping to go one of these days. Try and get that off my bucket list.

AZ quail slam hunt is on my bucket list!

Garry L Gordon 12-29-2023 05:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve E. Faber (Post 402073)
Garry, your advice is right as rain. I have a left knee demanding immediate attention, so have a date with an orthopaedic doc January 4th. Hopefully, he can banish the pain for a couple of months to afford me more time chasing quail and ducks this winter. I have mainly been chasing and catching largemouth from my 12' kayak the last month. Hand loaded some TSS for a 28 side by side that I am excited to use on mallards and geese.

Steve, my best to you (a kindred spirit). I put off hip replacement to get the bird season in. I also have found a surgeon who bird hunts and is okay with me waiting until this year’s bird season is over. We all have our priorities. At our home there’s bird season…and waiting for bird season.

Steve E. Faber 12-29-2023 05:59 PM

Mike, if they have birds, I guarantee your dogs will love you for it!