Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   General Parker Discussions (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   16ga Three Frame? (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=283)

Pete Lester 07-20-2009 08:56 AM

16ga Three Frame?

According to the seller this VH 16ga is on a three frame. I have not seen a picture of the barrel lug. Could be an optical illusion but the barrel walls look pretty stout. Not sure if he still has it for sale.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=131911730

Don Kaas 07-20-2009 11:22 AM

Well, if it's not a 3 frame (fairly rare in VH grade) it is certainly a #2 frame. My (and Destry's) kind of gun. It is a pity about the short barrels and the remaining open chokes as they defeat the purpose of a small bore waterfowler. I once bought a GH 16g 30" on a #3 frame but returned it as it had a few too many issues. My 32" 8lb #2 frame 3" 20 gauge will have to suffice. I picked up my #1 frame 32" .025/.025 choked 16 gauge VHE just yesterday at the stockers. At 7 1/4 lbs even, I look forward to taking it to Quebec at the end of September and whacking a few ducks with it

Bill Murphy 08-01-2009 04:14 PM

Yes, it is a #3 frame 16, with 28" original Vulcan Steel barrels. I'm sure we all thought they had been cut. I don't know how it was originally choked, but today it has original .665 bores, cylinder in the right barrel and .005 in the left. I doubt that it left the factory that way. I have procrastinated sending for a letter because I want to order several and am getting the information together for Mark. The gun is listed in the stock book at 8 pounds, 13 ounces, and the actual weight is 8 pounds, 8 ounces. I shot a round of skeet with it today and it is a horse. No recoil at all with one ounce game loads. I will report back when I get order book information. One thing we know is that the gun was special ordered with "figured wood", an unusual spec for a VH grade. It is about the whitest Parker I have ever seen, extreme field wear on every surface, but not a sign of any dents, deep scratches, or abuse, and totally original with great screws.

Pete Lester 08-01-2009 05:03 PM

Bill did you check the chamber length? Were there any 3 inch 16ga shells floating around at the turn of the century? Was this built as part of a multi barrel set by any chance?

Bruce Day 08-01-2009 06:06 PM

And what would be the purpose of a small bore, heavy waterfowler where a shooter pounds away with 12ga loads through a 3 inch 20 or 16? Why not just use a 12?

I can understand a 20 or 16 for teal or close in, wings cupped ducks, but that would be using a standard load for the ga.

Bill Murphy 08-01-2009 07:34 PM

This gun has no purpose other than ammunition testing. When I get the letter from Mark, I will let you know. I have seen other guns sold by Parker Brothers to ammunition companies, probably for testing their products. The chambers are not long. They measure between 2 1/2 and 2 3/4. I bought the gun because it was an odd bird. I have a house full of them. I'm looking for more. By the way, Bruce, what's a 12?

Dave Noreen 08-01-2009 07:59 PM

A hundred years ago the standard American 16-gauge paper shell was 2 9/16 inches. But, you could get 2 3/4, 2 7/8, and 3-inch 16-gauge shells. Just had to order a thousand. From the factories in those days the long shells didn't carry a heavier payload, just more and better wadding. From my readings I'm sure many an old Nimrod hand loaded his long shells a lot hotter then the factories did.

Pete Lester 08-02-2009 06:03 AM

Glad it found a home where it will be researched.

Ammunition testing gun, neat, I hope the records will provide some info on that, but if a test gun why the request for "highly figured wood?"

I wonder how many 3 frame 16's were built...... one or two?

Bill Murphy 08-02-2009 10:13 AM

Pete, thanks for bringing the gun to our attention. It had been on GB for several rounds without a bid and I had never looked at it. The seller would not sell it to someone without going through another week of no bids, so I bought it out of his store. They were very nice and astounded that I would want such a worn gun. However, I'm happy with it as long as I'm not forced to carry it in the field.

Don Kaas 08-02-2009 03:08 PM

Good for you, old buddy. If the barrels had been 30-32" with choke I would have gone after it. Someone on Gunbroker is selling 16 ga "magnum" loads with 1 3/8 oz of shot...just the ticket for this one or have the chambers bore out to 10 gauge and have a Parker version of the 12/20....the Meriden 10/16.... BTW, Bill, I broke down on Saturday called Larry A. and did a nice deal on the Westley Richards early A&D 36" 8 bore in its original case...