Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   New User Introductions (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   New Member In Virginia (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=32392)

BrianLiszkay 02-03-2021 10:27 AM

New Member In Virginia

6 Attachment(s)
Nice to meet everyone and be apart of this organization. Thank You for having me. Here is my main question: What is the best way to get this Parker open to get to the identifying marks?

I just got it back from a gunsmith and he soaked it in oil for a couple weeks, ran it in a electrolysis tank for a few days, and then cleaned it up as best he could without damaging. At the beginning you could barely even see any of the engraving work. Now we can see a hunting scene on all 3 sides. It seems too small for 12g and too big for 20g. It probably lost some thickness over the 80+ years in the dirt so still thinking it is a 12g. We think it is a grade 3. Any insight/suggestions would be greatly appreciated. We do not think the hinge pin will budge and even if drilled out he doesn't think it will allow it to be opened. Thank You!

Michael Kitterman 02-03-2021 10:49 AM

Too sad, another one lost to time.

Brian Dudley 02-03-2021 11:27 AM

Looks like a B (5) grade. Due to the single beaded fence. Wow! That is what they call a Relic.

Do you know any history on it as to how it came to be in this condition? Maybe Salvaged from the Titanic???

I don't think the damage will "buff out" as they say.

You could TRY to cross drill out the screw that retains the top lever linkage to the bolt and cut out the linkage. But even then, I doubt that the bolt could be worked out if that were done.

Harold Lee Pickens 02-03-2021 12:19 PM

what a shame, could be 16 ga. Its story would be interesting. Probably will not be able to find any serial #

Michael Kitterman 02-03-2021 01:26 PM

It looks like the top lever is in the open position and it appears the barrels are slightly raised, I would have to keep soaking the hinge pin with a good penetrating oil, clamp the barrels in a vice and tap the frame to see if I could ever get any movement on it. You might be able to make out the serial number and know a little about the history of this poor girl.

Dean Romig 02-03-2021 01:51 PM

Well, it's either a Grade 5 or a Grade 6 by that single bead around the bolsters.

Also, judging by the first picture of the barrels, the barrel suffered a catastrophic failure and ruptured probably due to an obstruction. The shooter was so enraged by the incident he immediately flung the gun off into the field and walked home. muttering and cussing the whole way.

... you know - the way golfers do with their clubs after a really bad slice...?

Robert Brooks 02-03-2021 02:25 PM

That is a shame! Bobby

Russ Jackson 02-03-2021 02:44 PM

If Dean is correct ,maybe the shooter didn't walk home at all ,you didn't find a Skeleton close by did you ???:rotf::rotf:
Really is a shame !

Jerry Harlow 02-03-2021 06:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Russ Jackson (Post 324445)
If Dean is correct ,maybe the shooter didn't walk home at all ,you didn't find a Skeleton close by did you ???:rotf::rotf:
Really is a shame !

Or at the least a thumb?

Dean Romig 02-03-2021 06:24 PM

And not a single buggered screw !