Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   New User Introductions (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   New gun ,new member. (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=20441)

John Coory 12-24-2016 09:10 AM

New gun ,new member.

Cheers and Christmas greetings to all from South Australia.
Had the good fortune to stumble upon a VHE Parker when asked to value items from a deceased estate recently.
Knowing nothing of the marque, (Parkers are super-rare in Australia) led me to this forum and a rapidly accelerating learning curve.
Long story short, I bought the gun and have spent the last two weeks reversing its habit of double discharge (nearly bit my tongue off) and giving it a thorough clean and tidy inside and out. Problem solved.
I believe I have a live pigeon gun of 1916 manufacture, though I would value any steerage on this matter.
Full choke on both barrels, mid bread on rib, no safety fitted and trap gun-like stock dimensions.
Solid lock up, mirror barrels internally, all intact mechanically save for a broken forend lever spring. (suggestions?)
Wood and checkering in superb condition with 100 years patina looking splendid.
Action freckled (which came away with gentle persuasion) barrel blue almost factory fresh.
A totally original piece with which I intend to tax my bbq with delicious, plump quail, when in season.
One wonders where this unit resides in terms of collector value and desireability, given the array of Parker guns.
Kind regards to all.
John

Phillip Carr 12-24-2016 10:00 AM

Welcome John and Merry Christmas. Please post a few pictures, this will allow so of the more knowledgeable members to provide you some feedback.
Also if you go to the link for Research letters you can check to see if your Parker by serial number has information available.

Dean Romig 12-24-2016 10:29 AM

Welcome indeed! And please post some pictures of your 'new' Parker.

charlie cleveland 12-24-2016 11:56 AM

wecome to the parker site...you can probaly get them broken springs replaced from brian dudly here on this site....charlie

Bill Murphy 12-28-2016 05:35 PM

Serial number and specifications would be helpful. Pictures would be even more helpful. Buy a PGCA letter and you will find out whether your gun has any important provenance in the USA or Australia competition world in 1916. This is the most important thing you will find with a letter. The next most important is the relationship between the letter and the present specs on the gun. "No Safety" can mean safety removed or it can mean no safety was ever installed and the engraved "SAFE" is not engraved on the top tang. To answer your question, a VHE pigeon gun is quite interesting to collectors here in the USA.

John Coory 12-28-2016 11:54 PM

Sincere thanks to those who have responded to my recent letter with advice and suggestions.
Looking forward to getting a few pics of the VHE online for you to ogle, which I hope will further discussion and lead to more knowledge.
Happy new year in advance to all.
John

Dean Romig 12-28-2016 11:55 PM

Happy New Year to you John.

John Coory 01-16-2017 08:10 AM

Australian VHE Pigeon

Hello again.
A PGCA letter to determine the history of my VHE Pigeon Gun is something which we all might enjoy.... but how to swing it from down under?
Rather reluctant to send a cheque all the way from the Southern Hemisphere and international transfer may be costly. Can I pay for this via credit card perhaps?
Any advice warmly received.
The more I research this gun , the more I believe I have something unique and would dearly like to share the news with you all.
Keep an eye out for photos soon.
Regards,
John

Rick Losey 01-16-2017 08:39 AM

PGCA members can order letters online and pay through PayPal

the $40 US membership fee is more than offset by the reduction in the cost of the letter to members

Dean Romig 01-16-2017 09:12 AM

Go to the PGCA Home page and click on the "Membership" and the "Research Letters" tabs on the left side. They walk you the processes of joining the PGCA and of ordering a research letter by using PayPal.