Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   Parker Restoration (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   change a choke (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=5352)

Edmund McIlhenny 10-16-2011 07:53 AM

change a choke

Is it possible to make a barrel a full choke if it has been cut off?

Bruce Day 10-16-2011 08:43 AM

Briley's in Houston can insert a fixed or removable choke tube, provided there is sufficient wall thickness. There is also something called a jug choke in which the bore before the end is increased then narrowed at the end, also depending on wall thickness, but I doubt there would be enough to get you to .020 to .030" constriction. It may be just me, but I've never liked the idea of reducing wall thickness, and I have seen screw in choke tubes blow out.

Edmund McIlhenny 10-16-2011 08:55 AM

blowing out would not be good.

Thank you.

Ray Masciarella 10-16-2011 10:47 AM

There is a gunsmith in Canada who can sleeve the choke. He doesn't need a lot of barrel thickness to do it. I've had it done where chokes on my gun where taken out too much. Worked good and can barely tell work was done. Google words like "choke", "sleeve", etc. I don't have my file with me and can't remember name. If you can't find it let me know and I'll get the name. Ray

Edmund McIlhenny 10-16-2011 10:56 AM

I will give it a try.

William Stevenson 10-17-2011 06:33 PM

Briley's in Houston installed thin wall chokes on my 12 ga steel shot special and furnished full, modified and improved cylinder choke tubes. You cannot tell tubes are installed unless you look into the muzzle.The gun has No barrel swell or other external indications of tubes. I don't see why they couldn't install any tube you wanted in a shortened barrel. Bill

John Campbell 10-17-2011 06:54 PM

EMc:
It's just my opinion, but a cut barrel Parker has one strike against it. A cut barrel Parker with choke tubes has three. I'd send your barrels to Kirk Merrington and see if he can get some choke back for you. It won't be "Full" however. Then again, nobody really needs Full choke. I've broken every target on my sporting course with true cylinder (just not in the same round).

Best, Kensal

Edmund McIlhenny 10-18-2011 06:43 AM

Thank you.

Edmund McIlhenny 10-18-2011 07:12 AM

Change a choke

I was thinking,not very hard,of buying a shooter.Your numerous comments have help me decide not to buy.

Francis Morin 10-18-2011 08:41 AM

Very wise decision- IMO

Quote:

Originally Posted by Edmund McIlhenny (Post 52323)
I was thinking,not very hard,of buying a shooter.Your numerous comments have help me decide not to buy.

Are you, by any chance, related to the famous Tabasco sauce folks down there? I put it on everything except Wheaties and ice cream- I would, in this open market, avoid ANY fine double with cut off barrels, no matter how much was cut- when there are numerous Parkers, etc on Guns International, Gun broker- etc-and a soft price market for the lower to middle grades.

It is not just the choke- it is the radius and taper originally bored into those barrels- and no "Briley tubes" can restore that- and Jess Briley is a master machinist and metal worker, as is Kirk Merrington.

I go back to the now late Ed Muderlak's sage words re: Parkers and other fine guns- also echoed by Larry Baer, Thomas Kidd and others- better to own a few unaltered and close to factory specs. guns than a rack full of "??"- hard to resell, if that scenario should ever come up.

IMO- anyone who takes a hacksaw to the barrels of ANY good grade double gun (The cowboy action redneck ilk non-withstanding) should be horse whipped in the public square and then dipped in Tabasco sauce and then sun-dried--:banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::bigbye::b igbye: