Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   General Parker Discussions (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Best way to carry shells in the field (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=28374)

todd allen 10-16-2019 12:29 PM

Best way to carry shells in the field

I have used various systems, and prefer the belt pouch style. Shells in the right pouch, water and accessories in the left, and downed birds in the back.
I know this could be a regional thing, living in the Desert Southwest.
What say you all?

Dean Romig 10-16-2019 01:00 PM

The left lower pocket of my shooting vest is for live shells. This pocket will easily hold 25 shells but I only carry about 8 - 10 when I'm after grouse and woodcock. My game pocket, accessible from either side at the breast, is for my water bottles and whatever game I happen to be lucky enough to bag. The right side lower pocket of my vest is for my pistol, my Leatherman (for quill removal), my pruning pliers, and my empty shells.

Daniel Carter 10-16-2019 01:17 PM

Right pocket of the vest for spreader shells ,left for regular. Then the trouble starts. fire starter matches, epi-pen, knife GPS, shooting glasses case,license, left hand glove, water, couple snickers bars and all the other things from past years. I need to get a strong boy to carry the damn thing for me.

todd allen 10-16-2019 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dean Romig (Post 283399)
The left lower pocket of my shooting vest is for live shells. This pocket will easily hold 25 shells but I only carry about 8 - 10 when I'm after grouse and woodcock. My game pocket, accessible from either side at the breast, is for my water bottles and whatever game I happen to be lucky enough to bag. The right side lower pocket of my vest is for my pistol, my Leatherman (for quill removal), my pruning pliers, and my empty shells.

Type of pistol to carry on a bird hunt could be an interesting discussion.
I carry a North American Arms Mini loaded with snake shot in one pocket, and a 3" BBLd Freedom Arms .22 Mag Mini in the other.

Russell E. Cleary 10-16-2019 02:44 PM

Todd:

For the woods of the Northeast, and if hunting alone, I put a few shells in my pants or vest pockets and load up a belt with extra, more for emergency signaling than for the possibility of families of birds going up around me.

Other stuff is in a canvass WW II gas mask bag that has my surname stenciled on it, slung from a strap over the shoulder: water; GPS; insect repellent; space blanket; hand-warmer; Acme Thunderer whistle; BIC lighter; license; survival matches; headlamp; map and a hiker’s compass (in case the one pinned to my shirt goes missing after being scraped off in the brush (as has happened to me twice with those nice brass Marbles compasses).

Flushes I can never assume, but I am likely to be in terrain where walking is hazardous and I may not be seen nor my voice heard for miles around.

Timothy Salgado 10-16-2019 02:52 PM

In my upland vest or jacket, the right pocket/loops carry five #7 1/2 shot game loads, the left pocket/loops carry five # 6 shot Fiocchi Golden Pheasant loads or # 6 shot American heavier game loads, water bottles in the back game pouch. My waterfowl jacket holds Bismuth duck loads in both pockets, with a couple goose loads added when the season overlaps. I carry my S&W J-frame H&R .32 magnum in my front pants pocket , usually everywhere, except when at work when its in an ankle holster as my back up gun. I also make it a point, if anyone joins me on a hunt , to have them carry an extra bottle of water for the dog.

Dean Romig 10-16-2019 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by todd allen (Post 283402)
I carry a North American Arms Mini loaded with snake shot in one pocket, and a 3" BBLd Freedom Arms .22 Mag Mini in the other.

S&W 15-shot 9mm model 5906 for coyotes, porcupines and whatever else may pose a threat to Grace... and we have a good number of black bears where I hunt and it has been a good year for cub births. It was a fantastic year for apples and most of where I hunt is littered with wild apple trees and the fruit is literally covering the ground. Everywhere I look there’s bear scat full of apple skins and seeds and a lot of limbs and branches are busted down.

Can’t be too careful...

Brett Hoop 10-16-2019 03:38 PM

Q5 - San Carlos for the grouse & woodcock in no where near nothing wolfville.

Right pocket 12 #71/2 or #8shot, shells. 1911 type Sig 9mm in sewn in retainer cocked and locked+backup clip. Left pocket, 12 #7 or #6 shot, shells. vehicle keys French snaped to sewn in strap. Iphone in sewn in pocket loaded with Scout n Hunt maps.
Rear zipper pocket has spring loaded pliers with wire cutters, dog vet supplies, couple of heavy zip ties, lighter, fire starting cubes, Karo, maybe a Cliff bar. On the belt in cartridge carrier 4, 00 Buck.
Game bag 2 water bottles, empty hulls and just once in a while some birds.

Close to home a Filson Tin cloth strap vest with 10 shells, Vet supplies and water for the dog. Pheasants are easier on my ego, and I have walked out of the grouse woods with 1 shell and no where near a limit.

Eric Eis 10-16-2019 05:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by todd allen (Post 283402)

Kimber 45 Ultra Compact, takes care of Porkies and anything else I may come across.

John Davis 10-16-2019 05:46 PM

It has never occurred to me to carry a pistol when I'm hunting.

Dean Romig 10-16-2019 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brett Hoop (Post 283408)
Q5 - San Carlos for the grouse & woodcock in no where near nothing wolfville.

Right pocket 12 #71/2 or #8shot, shells. 1911 type Sig 9mm in sewn in retainer cocked and locked+backup clip. Left pocket, 12 #7 or #6 shot, shells. vehicle keys French snaped to sewn in strap. Iphone in sewn in pocket loaded with Scout n Hunt maps.
Rear zipper pocket has spring loaded pliers with wire cutters, dog vet supplies, couple of heavy zip ties, lighter, fire starting cubes, Karo, maybe a Cliff bar. On the belt in cartridge carrier 4, 00 Buck.
Game bag 2 water bottles, empty hulls and just once in a while some birds.

Close to home a Filson Tin cloth strap vest with 10 shells, Vet supplies and water for the dog. Pheasants are easier on my ego, and I have walked out of the grouse woods with 1 shell and no where near a limit.

Is that like maybe an empty game pocket for 9 shots fired?..... I've done that:whistle:

I hope you don't lose your vest... you'll have to walk home. :rotf:

charlie cleveland 10-16-2019 06:27 PM

you boys got to be in good shape carrying all that gear....i have a old purse my wife gave me with a strap in it i carry my turkey calls water and face mask sometimes i carry my dinner if i intend to hunt all day in the woods...charlie

Brett Hoop 10-16-2019 06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dean Romig (Post 283422)
Is that like maybe an empty game pocket for 9 shots fired?..... I've done that:whistle:

I hope you don't lose your vest... you'll have to walk home. :rotf:

Well maybe. I lost count last year in a 10 year Aspen cut. Buzz was 13 months and we got into a flight of Woodcock wearing Teflon body armor. The bottom was just loaded and it had to sound like it was Annie Oakley and Protectors at the trap range. The pup was so good I didn’t care how bad I performed. Let’s just say I was lighter coming out. Could be why there is a hideout key for the FJ and the cabin has a combo lock.

Dave Noreen 10-16-2019 07:07 PM

# 7 1/2 in the right vest pocket, #5 or 6 in the left, maybe a bottle of water in back. The last few years my Wife has come with me and she has carried the downed birds in her back pack so they wouldn't impede my swing!!

Dean Romig 10-16-2019 07:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by charlie cleveland (Post 283424)
you boys got to be in good shape carrying all that gear....i have a old purse my wife gave me with a strap in it i carry my turkey calls water and face mask sometimes i carry my dinner if i intend to hunt all day in the woods...charlie

I had one of those Charlie - it was a top grain thick steer hide purse with a flap that folded over the top. It was one of those hippie purses from the 70’s with psychedelic designs on it with a heavy shoulder strap that I bought for Kathy early in our marriage, and when she tired of it I took it back for a shooting bag. Haven’t been able to find it lately... found out last winter my daughter stole it for my granddaughter... oh well, what the heck...

Mark Ray 10-16-2019 09:03 PM

The same Ruger .380 with an extra clip that I pocket carry every day. in my right front pants pocket. If im working dogs, quail hunting, i carry a birdshead Ruger Vaquero stainless .45 with two rounds of ratshot for snakes, and four hollowpoints for javalinas, coyotes skunks etc. i carry the .45 in a Doc Holiday style “huckleberry” rig.

For a shooting bag, belt, vest, myriad different configurations depending an what and where.

todd allen 10-16-2019 10:12 PM

Hmmm. I need to look at my wife's Dooney Burke collection. Might be some hunting gear there.

Eric Eis 10-17-2019 06:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Noreen (Post 283429)
# 7 1/2 in the right vest pocket, #5 or 6 in the left, maybe a bottle of water in back. The last few years my Wife has come with me and she has carried the downed birds in her back pack so they wouldn't impede my swing!!

Nice wife.....:rolleyes: Mine would say are you kidding :)

Bruce Day 10-17-2019 07:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Davis (Post 283421)
It has never occurred to me to carry a pistol when I'm hunting.

Clearly you have not encountered the dangerous killer rabbits or snakes so large and terrifying that they cannot be dispatched by birdshot.

Brian Dudley 10-17-2019 08:01 AM

I normally carry a sidearm when deer hunting. But never did think of it when upland hunting. I suppose it is not a bad idea.

Yesterday a hunting companion kicked up a bedded down doe and almost got run over by it when it took off. Not that you would shoot a deer, but it goes to show that you never know what can happen out there.

My game vest has elastic sewn-in shell holders inside the front pockets. Holds 5 on each side. This gives me 10 shells that are secure. Spent shells can be replenished when trips back to the vehicle are made.

Phil Yearout 10-17-2019 11:28 AM

No wonder you guys are concerned about a few ounces of weight on a shotgun :eek:! My vest has 8-10 shells in each front pocket and a partial roll of toilet paper in a side pocket. Everything else is in the truck. In 50+ or so years of upland hunting that roll has taken care of the only emergencies I've faced :rotf:.

todd allen 10-17-2019 08:38 PM

50 years? That roll of toilet paper has covered some ground!

Eric Eis 10-18-2019 06:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian Dudley (Post 283449)
I normally carry a sidearm when deer hunting. But never did think of it when upland hunting. I suppose it is not a bad idea.

Yesterday a hunting companion kicked up a bedded down doe and almost got run over by it when it took off. Not that you would shoot a deer, but it goes to show that you never know what can happen out there.

My game vest has elastic sewn-in shell holders inside the front pockets. Holds 5 on each side. This gives me 10 shells that are secure. Spent shells can be replenished when trips back to the vehicle are made.

Brian, if you have dogs and said dog meets a porky you will always carry a sidearm after that, trust me on that :eek:

Gary Laudermilch 10-18-2019 08:25 AM

I've been hunting grouse for over 50 years in country with porkys, skunks, coyotes, and bears. I've had many encounters with each and never once had the need for a sidearm. My dogs are trained to stay away from everything except birds. Actually, turkeys cause me more grief than anything else. I'm with Phil in that I don't carry any more than I have to, not even toilet paper. Leaves serve that purpose quite well:)

Daniel Carter 10-18-2019 09:07 AM

I have not found any of the mentioned critters have much resistance to my 20 ga., a moose in a grumpy mood is not been a problem yet just be still and they lose interest and wander off. Had a bear come tearing up to my son and I, confused as to where our scent was coming from, he had 4 loads of 6 pointed at his head at 6 ft. and turned on his heel and ran. Season was open and had the license but we did not need a bear.

Eric Eis 10-18-2019 09:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daniel Carter (Post 283518)
I have not found any of the mentioned critters have much resistance to my 20 ga., a moose in a grumpy mood is not been a problem yet just be still and they lose interest and wander off. Had a bear come tearing up to my son and I, confused as to where our scent was coming from, he had 4 loads of 6 pointed at his head at 6 ft. and turned on his heel and ran. Season was open and had the license but we did not need a bear.

It's just easier at a longer distance to use my pistol with a clean kill. Gary when you almost lose a dog to a porky it might change your mind. My dog was also trained not to tangle with porkies but he was hunting with another dog that nailed a porky and as my dog was going by he got hit in the left rear hip with over 200 quills put him down for the season and came close to losing him with a migrating quill. So that's why I carry and yes I have been hunting for over fifty years too............

Mark Ray 10-18-2019 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gary Laudermilch (Post 283516)
I've been hunting grouse for over 50 years in country with porkys, skunks, coyotes, and bears. I've had many encounters with each and never once had the need for a sidearm. My dogs are trained to stay away from everything except birds. Actually, turkeys cause me more grief than anything else. I'm with Phil in that I don't carry any more than I have to, not even toilet paper. Leaves serve that purpose quite well:)

Just to clarify, I only carry the 45 rig when I am working dogs on a hunt, and am NOT carrying a scattergun. Need my hands free for leads, transmitters whistles etc. i also wear that rig when bow hunting, when not in a potential Pope &Young situation

Mark Ray 10-18-2019 10:32 AM

BTW, the .380 (or some sidearm) is with me everywhere except inside my home, or where a metal detector is involved.

Phil Yearout 10-18-2019 10:33 AM

[QUOTE=Gary Laudermilch;283516]I'm with Phil in that I don't carry any more than I have to, not even toilet paper. Leaves serve that purpose quite well:)[/QUOTE

Gary, you forget this is the prairie; grass ain't nearly as wide as leaves :)!

Mark Ray 10-18-2019 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gary Laudermilch (Post 283516)

Not a great method in the Desert Southwest!!!!:rotf:

Brian Dudley 10-18-2019 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eric Eis (Post 283513)
Brian, if you have dogs and said dog meets a porky you will always carry a sidearm after that, trust me on that :eek:

I completely understand. I do not own a sporting dog, hence why I never thought of carrying a sidearm when upland hunting.

todd allen 10-18-2019 01:17 PM

One of my favorite upland memories; Walking along the Arizona/Mexico Border with a friend from the Phoenix area. My GSP cutting a zig-zag pattern about 20 yards ahead of us. My friend knew the area, and got us into birds, one small covey at a time. Shot a few, watch others fly away for another day
Walking the grassy, rolling hills.The sights were amazing. The birds held tight, and exploded into flight with enough energy to test your heart health!
Had my shells and supplies in a three bag belt. Though the weight was distributed perfectly, I could feel the tug of a 1911 Kimber .45 ACP, and three mags of ammo.
Everything felt about Right!

CraigThompson 10-18-2019 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian Dudley (Post 283449)

I used to carry a S&W 629 4” when out on deer stand with the idea of using it if I needed a “cou de grah” (I’m sure that’s not spelled correctly) and used it exactly one time in seven years . On top of that the thing always tugged on my pants as I wore it in a Galco high ride holster . Now I take a rifle as well as a shotgun typically loaded with some of my homemade buckshot or slug concoctions.

Ted Hicks 10-19-2019 05:55 PM

This has been a great thread. As for using a purse to carry gear, when my mother decided to move out of the family home and into an apartment, she also decided to give up her collection of designer handbags. I'm interested in so many things in the world, but designer handbags isn't one of them. However, I saw one that was very simple and made of very fine leather by something called Hobo and I thought I could use the leather to make a knife sheath or other accoutrement, so I took it. A few weeks later I was sitting in my den with it and there was a box of shotshells sitting there...and I put it in the hand bag, and then found that it would hold four boxes of 20 ga or 12 ga shells perfectly! So it sits in my truck during hunting season with the shotshells in it ready for action. When I told my mother about this, she laughed and laughed and told me that I was indeed my father's son. Then she frowned and I asked her what was wrong. She said "I think I paid $750.00 for that bag!"

As for carrying a handgun, I do religiously...a Glock 19. It can hold a magazine with 15 rounds in it but here in NY I can only use a mag that holds 10 rounds max. I once used it to dispatch a deer that was hit by a car while I was on my way home from a bird hunting trip. Otherwise, I've never had to use it other then range practice. We have lots of porcupines around and I use the e-collar transmitter for that. I worry more about coyotes, bears and two-legged creatures so I carry it while bird hunting for that.

Ed Norman 10-21-2019 08:26 PM

I agree with Hixie, what a great thread, I have 5 elastic loops sewed into my right and left front pockets for shells. My cell phone and 20' lead are in a large zipped right pocket, my 2 water bottles are in right front pocket with shells. My dogs 2 water bottles are in left front pocket with shells, I carry a double water bottle belt holder with fold up type bowl if I am going for a long hunt or its hot that straps on my waist. I carry a 5 shot .38 in my right front pants pocket, my car keys stay in my left pants pocket, an 8 shot .22 pistol on my right side on my belt. I have a small tupperware container with lid that hold some dog emergency stuff and matches etc. A tiny tupperware cup about 2"by 3" with a lid for dog treats. I leave my left large zip up pocket partly unzipped and keep an old small plastic bowl so dog can drink easier than from the plastic bottles I carry. My dog has it down to a science now drinking, we hardly spill a drop. I am kind of concerned about my car keys, but I keep a money clip in there and I have not lost either one yet. A spare key is a great idea, but I use my key fob so much a key won't unlock my door anymore.

Dean Romig 10-21-2019 09:03 PM

I find the easiest way to allow Grace to drink is not from the bottle but from my hat as I pour water from the bottle into it.

Ed Norman 10-21-2019 09:23 PM

Dean,
Thats another good idea for drinking. I just asked my wife if she could sew a snap on my pants pocket where I keep my keys and money. I am more worried about wearing a hole in the bottom of my pants pocket and keys slipping out that way. I may have her sew extra stitches along my pants pockets on bottom to help hold them together.

todd allen 10-22-2019 10:33 AM

I carry my keys clipped in with a carabiner. I clip the carabiner to my belt, not a belt loop like I have seen others do.

Chris Robenalt 10-22-2019 10:47 AM

I own a variety of Filson vest for hot, cool and cold conditions. All but the strap one offer a variety of pockets. I split a box between the front pockets. A water bottle in each rear pocket. My favorite pocket is the large pocket located on the upper back. This is for snacks.

Mark Ray 10-22-2019 10:49 AM

I always hide keys around vehicle, don’t trust myself with them on my person. Plus, at least when Snipe hunting, about 1 in ten trips I end up getting wet up to my belly, and today’s electronic keys don’t like that treatment!