Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   Damascus Barrels & Steel (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Damascus Knife Blade (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=7102)

John Dallas 05-16-2012 04:36 PM

Damascus Knife Blade

I have a favorite damascus folding pocket knife whose blade has gotten brown and grungy. Any suggestions on how to clean it up so as to restore the damascus look? (No, it's not good enuff a knife to send it to Brad)

Thanks

Drew Hause 05-16-2012 10:07 PM

John: you might try the chalk stick trick
http://www.lcsmith.org/faq/surfacerust.html

jimcaron 05-17-2012 08:11 PM

Please do post us a photo when you get it cleaned up. I love the look of a nice damascus blade.

John Dallas 05-17-2012 09:18 PM

Have been trying Drew's trick - so far, no progress. Someone suggested using coffee pot cleaner, which is apparently a mild etching solution. Anyone ever heard of that?

jimcaron 05-18-2012 09:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Dallas (Post 70134)
Have been trying Drew's trick - so far, no progress. Someone suggested using coffee pot cleaner, which is apparently a mild etching solution. Anyone ever heard of that?

Try using a light polishing compound like they use on auto finishes. They are designed to take out the haze but keep the sheen. Notice I said polishing compound and not a rubbing compound which is far more aggressive.
I think simonize makes a light duty one that could work well for you

Paul Harm 06-16-2012 02:45 PM

John, I make damascus knives. If it were me, I'd take some 220 grit wet dry paper, dip it in water and clean it up. Then dip it in feric chloride [ from Radio Shack ]. Cut it about 50/50 with water. Hold it in for a minute, pull it out and check it. It may take a dip or two. When satisfided use some baking soda/water paste to neutralize the acid etch. Some will then use a blueing - it's something you'll have to play with. The whole blade may get blued and if you don't like it try hitting the high spots with maybe some 400 or 600 grit dry. You'll need a backer so it doesn't go down in the low spots. If you mess it up, start over. Or you can do without the blue if you like it. Hope this helps - Paul

John Dallas 06-16-2012 03:20 PM

Paul - Thanks. Will head to Radio Shack.

BTW, was somewhere near your neighborhood yesterday, shooting at a charity sporting clays shoot to benefit the MUCC program to encourage young shooters. We shot at Grand Blanc Huntsman's Club. They had it set up as a cupcake course (Any time I can shoot 45/50, you know it's an easy one) 50/50 was high gun. Our team average of 87% was only good enough for about 4th place. Nice club. They are hosting the state Sporting Clays Shoot there next weekend

Paul Harm 06-20-2012 01:14 PM

I've shot there when it was easy and hard. Nice club. Paul

Steve McCarty 09-29-2012 08:37 PM

The thing that tickles my fancy about knives is not what the blade looks like but how it holds an edge. I've got about fifty knives of all kinds and enjoy sitting in front of the TV sharpening them. Knives are very different when it comes to sharpening and holding an edge. By far, btw: my sharpest knives are old Cub and Boy Scout folders. Camulus blades. An old K-Bar is good and made by the same company. Other old folders are capable of taking and holding a good edge. Swiss Army knives, both companies, take an edge and then lose it. I carry one tho, and freshen the edge daily. A few strokes on a steel does the trick. Case knives are okay, but I can't get a good edge on the small ones.

IMHO, if one wants to carry a sharp blade for little money, then go to a gun show and buy an old, cheap pocket knife that has a dirty, stained, made in the US, steel blade. Forget stainless. You'll be able to get an edge on it that you can shave with.

I have not been able to get a razor sharp edge on a damascus blade, but I only have two and one is a cheap kit blade. The other is a hand made blade. It is small and takes a pretty good edge. It is a totally hand made knife.

Daryl Corona 09-29-2012 10:01 PM

Steve;
What method do you use to sharpen your blades?