Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   Parker Paper, Memorabilia and Books (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Match Holder (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=12885)

Gary Cripps 02-27-2014 02:29 PM

Match Holder

2 Attachment(s)
Hanging next to the chimney in my wives folks house for at least the 52 years I've known her. Checking the house Monday to see how it was wintering the match holder jumped out at me. Appears to be missing a lid. How plentiful are they?

Dean Romig 02-27-2014 03:41 PM

First I've seen of that style.

Very nice.

charlie cleveland 02-27-2014 08:20 PM

very nice...charlie

Gary Carmichael Sr 02-28-2014 07:14 AM

Interesting piece, I have one but not like that, gary

John Gardner 03-02-2014 09:14 PM

Parker match Safes

2 Attachment(s)
Gary here are a couple pictures of my Parker Match Safes. Sorry for the glare on the first picture.

They can be found on eBay fairly often and seem to range nowadays from $50 all the way to $150 although I have seen a few for less than that.

You don't see your wife's family's match safe, which is one of the earliest models, all that often. It is a Model 2, for regular size matches, and cost a whopping $0.14 each or $20.00 to the gross, according to the 1886 Charles Parker catalog.

You can see the various types in Volume II of the Parker Story on page 893. Cheers JG

Eric Eis 03-03-2014 10:39 AM

You do have to be careful because there are repos of these too and some are hard to tell from the original.

Richard Flanders 03-15-2014 04:14 PM

Nice! If I had one of those I'd have it on the wall beside the wood stove full of strike-anywhere matches.

Steve Huffman 03-15-2014 05:40 PM

Repos ................ I hate that word the silver dollars their faking these days are terrible.

Destry L. Hoffard 03-20-2014 12:04 PM

Richard finding the strike anywhere matches to go in it would be the challenge. Hardly anybody carries them anymore. And when you do find them, they're pretty hard to strike, unlike the old Ohio Blue Tips my Dad always kept around. You could tap those things on something rough and they'd go off easy. I always lit my pipe with strike anywheres just because I like the smell but I've finally given up and use a Zippo now.

DLH

Richard Flanders 03-20-2014 12:26 PM

Righto Destry, except up here you can still get them. I've stocked up on them from a small hardware here that carries all sorts of stuff you'll never find at Home Depot. When was the last time you saw the brown okum used to pack cast iron sewer pipe before you poured molten lead in to seal the joints, and sold by the pound from a bulk box??? They are the only place even in Fairbanks that carries the demon "strike anywhere" matches. I think I'll go buy another 6 boxes just because I can. We love this hardware. They're even a Starrett outlet and have a cabinet full of goodies. I'd love one of those Parker safes for the wall...