Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   General Parker Discussions (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   1923 VH 20ga “0” Frame Mystery Gun (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=40849)

Kevin Pellegrino 01-04-2024 10:16 PM

1923 VH 20ga “0” Frame Mystery Gun

8 Attachment(s)
First, I’d like to thank you all again for the insight and advice you’ve all given me since I joined this forum. You’ve all been so kind and helpful.Attachment 122246

Attachment 122247

Attachment 122248

Attachment 122249

Attachment 122250

Attachment 122251

Attachment 122252

Attachment 122253
Getting back to this gun in question, it still has me and others sort of baffled.
It’s apparent that the stock on this VH Grade is from a much higher grade and unfortunately, this gun’s serial number, 206xxx, is one from one of the missing record books, so no information on it can be found. I did look under the trigger guard for a serial number on the stock, but I can only read the last three numbers, 084, and those are different than the gun’s serial number. This stock has a highly engraved skeleton butt plate and the fleur-de-lis carving and extensive checkering on both the stock and fore grip.
So at the recommendation of another member, I’m making this post and maybe another member could shed some light on this particular gun.

Mike Poindexter 01-04-2024 10:50 PM

Under the adage "Buy the gun, not the provenance", I would be proud to own and shoot this gun. That said, the number under the trigger guard appears to indicate Grade 5, or B Grade, and the checkering and wood look about right for that grade. The borders on the hand grip don't look Parker to me, however, so I will just say--"I like it," and let it go at that.

Dean H Hanson 01-05-2024 06:26 PM

Sure would be interesting if the B grade number xxx,084 is out there. Likely a 1 or 0 frame gun. I scoured the Serialization book from 70,000 till 241,000..... only 3 B grades listed, all 12''s, 2-32" and 1-30". Quite a few "084" serial numbers missing. FYI, the forend matches the original number of the gun. Either way, a fantastic Parker to be proud of for sure.

Kevin Pellegrino 01-05-2024 06:57 PM

And thank you Dean Hanson for all your help and insight! I’m really liking the people in this forum! This world needs more people like you!

Randy G Roberts 01-05-2024 08:21 PM

Hi Kevin. If you did not already know this that seemingly odd looking hole in the rearward portion of the tang recess is actually where the screw went that would go into the pistol grip and hold the grip caps in place on guns of a grade 5 or higher. They were not all done this way. But if you ever see a grade 5 or higher and the grip cap doesn't have a screw holding it on that's visible that's how the Brothers P did it. Kinda cool IMO, just like your gun. I've got a 1 1/2 frame 16 gauge DHE that someone replaced the original stock with B grade wood. I can live with that. They went the right direction in terms of grades eh. :)

Kevin Pellegrino 01-05-2024 08:48 PM

Hi Randy!
That’s another cool thing I just learned about these beautiful pieces of work! Thank you for sharing that! I’m learning more and more each day from all you great people!
I’ d love to see your DHE 16!

J. Scott Hanes 01-05-2024 10:28 PM

Thanks for that lesson, Randy Roberts!! Since I have never owned a D yet, I did not know about the grip cap attachment.

Randy G Roberts 01-06-2024 07:57 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin Pellegrino (Post 402540)
Hi Randy!
That’s another cool thing I just learned about these beautiful pieces of work! Thank you for sharing that! I’m learning more and more each day from all you great people!
I’ d love to see your DHE 16!

Kevin:

Join the PGCA and you will have access to the Parker Pages archive where you can go to the Summer 2020 edition and read all about this gun. While I do not favor the straight stock this configuration does not wander by often.

Mark Britton 01-06-2024 07:22 PM

I believe Kevin has joined our great organization! Welcome Kevin !