Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   Damascus Barrels & Steel (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   damascus- raised dent (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=5651)

David Holes 11-22-2011 09:03 PM

damascus- raised dent

Looking at a gh 1 frame that has had a dent pushed up to far. The barrel is slightly raised. Can it be pushed back down. Thanks Dave

Bruce Day 11-23-2011 09:05 AM

Yes. Any competant gunsmith can do that, but the gunsmith you choose should be more skilled than the one who turned the dent into a bulge.
The trouble with a bulge is that it must be hammered down, which leaves marks on the barrel and then the barrel should be re-browned if you don't want the marks to show. With a dent, just raising it is usually all that is required with no refinishing. The bulge is probably a result of an overzealous user with a hydraulic dent raiser. Hydraulics have a lag time.

Bruce Day, Parker enthusiastic know-nothing

Richard Flanders 11-23-2011 12:00 PM

If you find someone with the right set of pin gages they can put that bulge back down to where it will be barely, if at all, noticeable. I use a leather or a plastic hammer for that and it doesn't leave any marks at all. I experimented with my pin gages on a pretty dented up Ithaca Flues damascus barrel and was amazed at what I was able to make completely disappear.

David Holes 11-23-2011 12:36 PM

Thanks Richard & Bruce. The bad news is that someone touched it with a file after they over raised it. The good news is they didn't get to carried away. Brad could probably make it disappear, but the gun is a very nice original 1904 gh. I am not sure I want to refurbish it, but just touch it up. Pictures on GB 258608439.

Thomas L. Benson Sr. 11-25-2011 06:14 PM

Richard: What is a pin gauge and what else is it used for. Thomas

David Holes 11-25-2011 06:44 PM

I made a pin gauge out of a 1/2 inch craftsman deepwell socket, added 2 pieces of painters tape and tapped into place on inside of bore. Used a plastic headed hammer, a piece of leather and a jenga block of wood that was laying around. Played with it until I could not feel the raise any longer and worked on smoothing out the previous workers tool marks. It is still noticable, but good enough that I can live with for a while. Dave

Dave Suponski 11-25-2011 08:48 PM

David, How far from the breech is this dent?

Dave Suponski 11-25-2011 08:51 PM

David, How far from the breech is this dent? Pin gauges are commonly used in the machining /toolmaking trade. They come in increments of .001" and are used for checking bore diameters and have several other uses in the inspection of machined parts.

Robert Rambler 11-25-2011 10:00 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Thomas, Here's a set of pin gauges. I use this set to measure 10ga bores/chokes and remove barrel dents.

David Holes 11-25-2011 10:14 PM

The dent was about in the center in the 28 in. barrels. I used Richards leather idea and was impressed how well it worked.