Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   Shotgun Shell Reloading (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Bismuth Duck Loads (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=19783)

Kirk Mckinney 09-09-2016 11:47 AM

Bismuth Duck Loads

Gentlemen

I wanted to see what you guys with years of experience with hunting loads think about my ideal. I am shooting a 1929 Sterlingworth 2 1/2 in shells. I have a 7/8 oz load that I shoot skeet with. If I loaded the same load with Bismuth do you think it would work well with Ducks over Decoys ? Do you think 7/8 load is enough of 4 or 5 shot? If the velocity is around 1150 to 1200 fps. I would say probably all my shots would be 35 yards or less. 45 max..... what do yall think.
If this will work I would only have about 6200 - 7000 psi.

Thanks in advance for any insight anyone might have.
See you in the fields!

Harry Collins 09-09-2016 02:21 PM

Your Fox is a stout old gun. I would not hesitate to shoot 1 1/8 oz loads through it. Check out RST's non-tox loads. My father took ducks with a 20 gauge Trojan imp cylinder and mod back in the 30's using modest 7/8 oz loads, but I think he waited to smell their breath before he shot.

Rick Losey 09-09-2016 02:50 PM

If you are just substituting bismuth for lead

How do you know what the pressure will be?

Have they been tested

Kirk Mckinney 09-09-2016 06:17 PM

Yes I wait till there close too. About a foot over the decoys is good for me. Lol I don't miss much like that I'm shooting 30in full and full. No I hadn't had them tested. Although I think I would. I like to know where I'm at.

Kirk Mckinney 09-09-2016 06:20 PM

Over at precision Keith told me he had a load of 1 oz of bismuth that tested at 8400. I think that was what he said. It was for 2 1/2 in 12 gauge also

Kirk Mckinney 09-09-2016 06:23 PM

I have 4 boxes of rst bismuth. But you never know when this stuff goes extinct. Lol

Rick Losey 09-09-2016 07:06 PM

Rio and Kent are currently loading Bismuth

Kirk Mckinney 09-09-2016 08:49 PM

Are they loading 2 1/2 in 12 gauge

Rick Losey 09-09-2016 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kirk Mckinney (Post 201874)
Are they loading 2 1/2 in 12 gauge

No.

Frank Srebro 09-10-2016 08:16 AM

I can't help with a 7/8 ounce loading for bismuth, but 7/8 ounce is a light load for a 12-gauge and bismuth is only about 80% as dense as lead shot and thus will bleed off speed way more rapidly after it leaves the muzzle. Also, of course we are all sportsmen with our SxS's and go out with intentions of only taking shorter decoyed shots, but who can resist a flock of greenheads that flare away at 50 yards or so after a long morning with no action in the blind?

I often write about the use of lower velocity/lighter shot loadings on game animals and how that can inflict shallow wounds and result in cripples when the scene isn't just right or the range stretches out. This was driven home to me after processing grouse and pheasants taken with so-called low pressure factory shells marketed to gents who want same to "be kind" to their vintage guns with old dry wood etc. So you have a box of specialty shells that's supposed to be 1125 or 1150 or even 1200 fps. How do you know that? Have you checked with a shotgun chronograph to verify that speed? Same as you checked the mpg rating on your new vehicle's window sticker versus what you actually get on the road? Do we ever wonder why those vintager-type shells are mild to shoot? Magic dust in the powder? Sure these low pressure factory shells will break clays, and gents will often say how this or that vintager shell will absolutely crush targets, but how many reports have we seen on deep penetration into the vitals of game animals? I for one have seen relatively shallow penetration when such shells are used at moderate to longer ranges.

Best advice I can give for hunting is to use enough gun for the game along with using enough good shot @ the regular speed for hunting loads as we used in our youth.