Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   Parker Restoration (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Found VH 20 ga 32" BB I need help (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=7356)

Anthony Cibelli 06-21-2012 02:33 PM

Found VH 20 ga 32" BB I need help

I recently found a VH 20 gauge with 32 inch barrels on a # 1 frame. It is a 3" magnum. The number is 131424. It has a replaced stock with a Kickeze pad, but original splinter forend. Should I restore it to a VH or upgrade it to an AH or AAH or A1 Special? 32 inch barrels! Please -- looking for suggestions and names of good restorers Thanks Tony

Dave Suponski 06-21-2012 02:50 PM

Just my opinion but I am not much for upgraded guns. If the gun is sound lightly clean it up and shoot the hell out of it. A 32" 20 gauge is a wonderful gun.

Jim DiSpagno 06-21-2012 02:51 PM

Get a letter on the gun and if all is correct other than the replaced butt stock, restore to original without making it look overdone. Have a reputable gun restorer do it. All the upgrading will not add profitable value to this gun. It is very desirable in the original form. IMHO Jim

John Campbell 06-21-2012 03:22 PM

I agree with Mr. DiSpano. But beware of the word/concept of "restore." Restore to what should be the question. Making this gun look "factory new" may not be the best course. Having it returned to a "well kept" appearance may be better. But an "upgrade" will certainly destroy any heritage the gun may have.

Thus, it will be wise to choose the "restorer" with utmost care and thought. I'd personally write off any firm whose name begins with T.

Best, Kensal

Brian Dudley 06-21-2012 11:14 PM

Do not upgrade the gun!
A 20g. with 32" barrels is a rare enough find and in a magnum too! That is a rare and valuable gun. Worth much more, proportionately speaking, than an upgrade would be after the upgrade work is done to it.
To what extent to restore it all depends on the condition. You should post some pics so we can see.
If the replacement buttstock is obviously not original in either form or quality, that should be replaced to be correct.

A replacement buttstock could be finish matched to the forend and the patina of the rest of the gun so that it does not stick out like a sore thumb on the gun. Since sometimes one nice new part of a gun can lead to feeling the need to do more work on other parts.

The extent of original finish on your metal will be your determining factor on how far you want to go with any restoration work.

I am sure that gun has seen many duck blinds over the years.

Daryl Corona 06-21-2012 11:30 PM

Anthony,
Tread lightly before you do anything to this wonderful gun. Some pictures of it would help us better judge its condition. We just love pictures here. How do you know the stock has been replaced?

Bill Murphy 06-22-2012 10:30 AM

A PGCA letter should be your first move on a gun like this.

Anthony Cibelli 06-22-2012 09:02 PM

Thanks for all the responses - I'll get some pictures up tomorrow - Tony

Anthony Cibelli 06-23-2012 08:37 PM

I took a few images for your review

Anthony Cibelli 06-23-2012 08:59 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Receiver