Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   Hunting with Parkers (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Turkey Report (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=23930)

Frank Childrey 04-16-2018 03:15 AM

I got to the woods and set up at dawn. I had a open field to my left and a wooded creek bottom in front of me. Here I placed one hen decoy. For some reason, about 8:00, I looked to my left, and out of the corner of my eye there stood the gobbler. I froze. I waited for about 5 minutes, looked again, and he was, of course, gone. Oh well. I decided to give it another hour. About 8:45. I heard a bird behind me. He came in to my left making a beeline for the decoy. I raised the Trojan 12, shot, he took to the air. I gave him the left barrel. He folded in mid air and landed in the creek. 14 lb. jake.

Frank Childrey 04-16-2018 03:19 AM

By the way, this was Saturday, the 14th; I have never, ever, shot a turkey on Opening Day. The gun used is a Trojan 12 gauge, 28" barrels, bored improved cylinder and modified. I was using left over #4s, lead shot.

Mills Morrison 04-16-2018 08:45 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Dad and I went Saturday and had two calling on either side. Lots of hens, so no luck. Did have an armadillo running around us and should have shot him, but was holding out hope for the turkeys to come in. Beautiful time to be out in the woods, though.

Mills Morrison 04-23-2018 10:57 AM

8 Attachment(s)
Went Saturday and had at least two gobbling on either side. One got close but would not come over a clump of scrub palmetto. He was smart, I guess. Sunday, went with my son and heard some in the distance, but no luck. Story of my turkey career, but am not complaining. You can't beat the scenery or tranquility

Garry L Gordon 04-23-2018 11:40 AM

Looking at that youngster with his Parker, I'd say this qualifies as an extraordinarily successful hunt!

Thanks for sharing the photos.

Mills Morrison 04-23-2018 11:44 AM

It's not his yet. He is just holding mine.

Thanks for the kind words, Garry

charlie cleveland 04-23-2018 08:32 PM

that son of yours mills is being raised up the right way...great looking place you are hunting sometimes a turkey will hang up on creeks fence lines and plants like yours did...stay after them you ll win one day heck just beeing in the woods this time of year is a winner... charlie

Mills Morrison 04-23-2018 08:43 PM

That is right Charlie. Being in the woods this time of year is just beautiful. We'll get him one day.

Gerald McPherson 05-01-2018 01:18 PM

Well I got the monkey off my back this morning, killed two. Another five seconds and I may have gotten my season limit.I had one coming really talking when suddenly three walked in quiet. I've been busted several times this year by birds coming in behind, Good to see some come like they are supposed to.

Garry L Gordon 05-01-2018 02:10 PM

Excellent!! Congratulations.