Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   General Discussions about Other Fine Doubles (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Has anyone ever seen this? (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=15741)

Dean Romig 02-27-2015 05:29 PM

Has anyone ever seen this?

3 Attachment(s)
This is on an Ithaca I picked up today in Massachusetts for Fred Lowe in Salt Lake City.
I have never seen this device on any gun at all and I believe it was installed in order to raise the POI of the shot charge or, effectively increasing the DAC and the DAH.
With this device the DAC is 2" and the DAH is 3 1/4" but without it (I didn't remove the device but simply placed a shim of the same thickness under the muzzle end of the barrels.) the DAC is 1 7/8" and the DAH is 3" even.
It even looks like a factory installation, judging by the workmanship and the fact that the matting is virtually the same as that of the top rib.

Anybody familiar with one of these?

Bob Jurewicz 02-27-2015 06:38 PM

Dean,
I'm been an Ithaca follower for a long time, but, never saw anything like that.
Bob Jurewicz

Chuck Bishop 02-27-2015 07:10 PM

Wouldn't it lower your POI? With this device installed, wouldn't it simulate a gun with so much drop that all you see is the back of the receiver?

Dean Romig 02-27-2015 07:12 PM

No because it raises only the bead in relation to your line of sight.

Bob Jurewicz 02-27-2015 07:14 PM

Chuck,
Interesting. However, I believe it would raise the point of impact.
Bob Jurewicz

Dean Romig 02-27-2015 07:42 PM

9 Attachment(s)
I acted as agent for Fred Lowe today and went to examine and consummate the deal on this little 1911 production Ithaca Flues. It weighs a scant 4 lb., 15 oz. but is really well balanced. As you can see it hasn't been messed with but with the possible exception of the added device on the breech end of the top rib. It is a 28 ga. with original 24" barrels, a straight grip with double triggers and the finish is all original with about 40% case color. The wood finish is original and the butt plate shows wear but is not chipped or cracked.

Feast your eyes!!!

Incidentally, I had Fred's permission to post these pictures.

Daryl Corona 02-27-2015 08:14 PM

WOW!! What a bird gun.

Brian Dudley 02-27-2015 08:40 PM

Very interesting engraving on that gun.

That riser would effectively do what a vent rib would do on a trap gun and make you shoot high.

I was wondering what that was on the other photos in Fred's original thread.

John Dallas 02-27-2015 08:51 PM

I don't understand. The stock has not been adjusted (raised/lowered), so your eye (the rear sight) has not been repositioned. The front sight has not been moved. Ergo, the gun should shoot where it would previously with or without the rib doobie

G. Wells 02-27-2015 09:04 PM

POI Change

It seems to me that if one actually uses the front bead for shooting, POI would be higher as you would have to move the front of the barrel upward to see the bead. If one shoots without using the bead and just mounts the gun and shoots, it would seem to make no difference on POI. Could be wrong, but that makes sense to me.