Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   Hunting with Parkers (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Beat by a Hen (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=13064)

Angel Cruz 03-15-2014 07:10 PM

Beat by a Hen

5 Attachment(s)
When out this morning and everything went according to plan. Kind of..
It was still dark when we set up and everything went well. We had a tom fly across a creek and land in front of us about 40 yards out. As soon as he hit the ground he swelled up and went into his dance. All that time my view was blocked by a downed tree. While waiting for the tom to step to one side or the other, a damn hen also flew in from across the creek and went straight to the tom. After that it was all over. They went into their dance and away she went with my tom. The hussy!!
The first picture is my view from the blind. The rest is to give you an idea where we hunt.
Now I can't wait till next Saturday.

charlie cleveland 03-15-2014 09:45 PM

mighty fine storey..them hens are sure hussy s some time..them hen s have led several old tom s to safety lots of times...you sure have a pretty place to hunt i d probly set out a few trotlines while messing with them hussy s..sure nice place...charlie

Rick Losey 03-15-2014 09:53 PM

"The rest is to give you an idea where we hunt."

really - you mean you just wanted to tease us Yankees who got a foot of snow this week with greenery and open water.

:corn: :corn: :corn:

better luck next week

Angel Cruz 03-16-2014 06:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rick Losey (Post 134014)
"The rest is to give you an idea where we hunt."

really - you mean you just wanted to tease us Yankees who got a foot of snow this week with greenery and open water.

:corn: :corn: :corn:

better luck next week

:rotf: thanks Rick, it was around 60 by 8am. Just perfect...

Rich Anderson 03-16-2014 06:45 AM

Our last 60 degree day was over 4 mos ago and that day was unusually warm for November.

Maybe you need to work on your female impersonations, but a hen in the flesh is better than whats behind that log to any old Tom. Are you using a hammergun?

Angel Cruz 03-16-2014 07:22 AM

Yeah, my friend try to get the Tom's attention but there was no way he was going to leave that hen. We were hoping he would come back after he got done with her but maybe she was all he could handle.
I was using my GH 16ga. It's the 2 bbl set I got from Edgar. Bbl. #1 has full chokes. The only hammer gun I have with full chokes is my Ithaca 16ga. I want to take one with my Parker first.

Angel Cruz 03-16-2014 07:39 AM

I also forgot to mention. We sat till 12 and we did not hear not one shot all morning. That's unheard off.

Dennis V. Nix 03-16-2014 02:32 PM

Angel,

Sorry you did not get your bird but tomorrow is another day. Just from looking at the pictures I can easily spot a rattlesnake in one corner, a cottonmouth in another corner, a coral snake in the third corner and a copperhead in the last corner. right there in the center of the picture right under the log is probably a big alligator. Good luck.

Dennis

Angel Cruz 03-16-2014 02:43 PM

Dennis, snake boots are a must. Everything else, you better watch were you gonna park your butt.

Dennis V. Nix 03-16-2014 02:56 PM

Yessir, that is what I thought. I have seen some big rattlesnakes on my place in Colorado but at least I might hear them from time to time. The other 3, I would be on my own. My son used to live in Ocala before he passed away and he introduced me to fire ants when I visited once. Not nice either.

Good luck with your hunting. I hope you do well.

Dennis