Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   Parker Restoration (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   GH Restoration (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=28512)

Chris Chisholm 11-04-2019 08:54 PM

GH Restoration

10 Attachment(s)
I am picking up from earlier this year when I reached out to this forum for assistance in the restoration of my first Parker, a 100 year old GH Grade with Damascus barrels.
The gun is soon coming back to me, and from the texted photos it looks amazing!

These first pictures are from when I received the gun:

Dean Romig 11-04-2019 09:01 PM

Can’t wait....

Chris Chisholm 11-04-2019 09:02 PM

And more photos

10 Attachment(s)
Here are some additional photos. Now when I figure out how to import the texted photos, I will add to this thread..

Brian Dudley 11-04-2019 09:06 PM

Looks like that one had a nice piece of wood on it!

Chris Chisholm 11-04-2019 09:26 PM

Restoration work in progress

4 Attachment(s)
At the risk of patting myself on the back, I should like to thank the late Mr. Jobs and his collection of genius' for making this simple. What a world we live in where 100 year old steel and wood can be ogled through the lens of modern machines.

The first pictures are from the initial removal from soaking to clear the oil...he was shocked to see it was still bleeding oil.

The next two are examples of his rust blueing for the damascus. I have to send the barrels back to him in the spring of 2020, as he needs at least 8 barrels to make this viable. From what these pictures show, I had no problem saying yes and getting on the list.

Chris Chisholm 11-04-2019 09:41 PM

The almost finished pictures

9 Attachment(s)
These are the almost completed pictures; he was working on the trigger guard this past weekend and was expecting to have the gun to me later this week. We have 5 more weeks of Pheasant season here in NS, so I am hopeful to get this out for some fun. With 28 inch barrels and chokes of IM and Full, I think this will be a great gun for pheasants.

The first two pictures are after the first coat of finish, well before any re-cutting of lines and checkering. They indicate how beautifully the wood is figured.

I will take some additional pictures when the gun arrives and post for comparison.

Chris Dawe completed this work. In his words "one of the dirtiest guns I have ever seen", but aside from a safety spring, it was mechanical sound. He sends the metal to Oscar Kob for case colour hardening.

I think I am going to be very happy.

Dean Romig 11-04-2019 09:57 PM

When I first looked at the barrels I thought to myself that I have never seen that Damascus pattern on a hammerless Parker.... then I saw the rib extension and knew those barrels were never on a Parker.

I think he sent you pics of somebody else’s barrels.....

Chris Chisholm 11-04-2019 10:12 PM

Correct. Those are just an example of his rust blueing. Mine are not yet done, but in the que for next spring.

edgarspencer 11-05-2019 08:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Chisholm (Post 284651)
Correct. Those are just an example of his rust blueing. Mine are not yet done, but in the que for next spring.

Must be one hell of a ‘que’. :shock:

keavin nelson 11-10-2019 11:06 AM

I don't think you would be disappointed to use Breck Gorman, and his que isn't that long last I knew. He did the barrels on the 10Ga hammer gun in the Parker Pages article.