Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   Parker Hammer Guns (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Gun socks...good or bad (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=21500)

Tom Jay 05-14-2017 10:58 AM

Gun socks...good or bad

My gun safe can't hold all my guns without banging into each other. So I put several in gun socks (the silicone kind) and placed them between those that don't. Are gun socks okay to use for long term storage? Any ill effect on the gun finish?What are the pro/con of using silicone gun socks? Are any available without being silicone impregnated?

Dean Romig 05-14-2017 11:14 AM

I have never had a problem using silicone or silicone treated gun socks.

That said, silicone is a 'mother' to remove if you ever want to have the gun refinished... and the silicone will prevent an acceptable finish if it isn't entirely removed.

Daryl Corona 05-14-2017 11:16 AM

I've been using them for years with no ill effect.

Mike Koneski 05-14-2017 01:27 PM

I am a +1 to Daryl's comment.

Garry L Gordon 05-14-2017 03:15 PM

I have all my guns in these socks, and have stored them this way for some years now. I make sure to take them all out a couple times a year to check and wipe them down, but have never had an issue. I don't think there is enough silicone on them to affect the stock finish, at least not so far (having said this, I know silicone to be pretty cantankerous stuff).

Brian Dudley 05-21-2017 09:01 AM

I like to use socks even when using hard cases. Good way to protect them.

Pat Dugan 06-12-2017 05:08 PM

I also use gun socks on all guns, keeps them from getting marks on them in gun safe and also use them on all break down guns ,even in the cases.

Jack Cronkhite 06-15-2017 11:56 AM

I've used them - no problem. After too many years of gun safes and not getting to enjoy the look of the functional art contained therein, I finally built a secure gun room. No gun has to hit another just to pick it up and replace it. I did keep the safes for ammo and somehow one has started to accept some permanent residents. If you get the opportunity to build a secure gun room, best to make it bigger than your first thoughts - if you can. Maybe should have stuck with safes and socks:)

Dean Romig 06-15-2017 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jack Cronkhite (Post 220241)
If you get the opportunity to build a secure gun room, best to make it bigger than your first thoughts - if you can.

I built mine 16'x24' thinking that would be plenty big... but it's not. I have a 47 long-gun safe that I keep most of them in and a smaller 24 gun safe both in my 'secure room' (keeping in mind that nothing is really secure) and that's where they stay.
The room doubles as my library and my reloading room and has a couple of nice chairs and a TV too. Not a bad place to spend spare time... if only I had any.

allen newell 06-15-2017 01:09 PM

If you control the humidity in your gun safe, you'll have no issues. The point is that wherever you store your firearms, that you keep the air dry.