Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   Hunting with Parkers (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Plymouth Jake (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=10441)

allen newell 05-06-2013 08:01 AM

Plymouth Jake

1 Attachment(s)
Species: Eastern Turkey
Sex: Correction - Bearded Female
Date: 5/6/13
Time of Death: 6:14 am EST
Cause of Death: Walked into path of oncoming lead shot. :shock:
:bowdown:

Note: when I shot this turkey I incorrectly assumed it was a 'Jake' as there was a noticeable beard, the head had mottled red spots etc. so I posted it as a Jake. However, when later this morning I processed the bird and was emptying the innards, out came an egg much to my surprise (!!) and upon further reading, it was apparent that the bird was a bearded female, somewhat uncommon. But legal to have taken.

Dennis V. Nix 05-06-2013 09:00 AM

Allen that is indeed a beautiful and dumb bird not to watch where it was walking. Congratulations. Tell us more about the Parker that launched such a fusillade.

Dennis

allen newell 05-06-2013 09:16 AM

The Parker is a 16 ga. VH. ser# 221866 (1927) Purchased by my grandfather in Boston, Ma. In 1939 and while shooting hand trap on his farm (second home) in Bow, NH with his older sons, the recoil of this Parker struck his nose causing internal bleeding. He went home to Dedham, Ma with a headache and was dead by next morning of a cerebral hemmorage. The 16' passed to his youngest son, my father, who hunted with it until he was no longer able to hunt having contracted ALS. After my Dad's passing, I inherited it. About 7 years ago, I had DelGrego's rebuild it with new wood, and case colors by Turnbull. My grandfather had ordered this gun (so I was told by my Dad) with extreme drop and a very short LOP. By the time I had inherited it, the wood was beyond recovery, case colors were virtually non existent, one barrel had a dent in it. It needed and cried out for a rebuild if I was going to shoot it and hand it down to Logan, my oldest grandson and who was accompanying me this morning when I shot the bearded female that I had believed was young Tom (Jake) in the picture above. We've come full circle with this gun and it's ready for the next generation.

charlie cleveland 05-06-2013 10:10 AM

allen thats a fine bird...i ve yet to take one with 16 ga...what load did you use to kill this turkey and how many steps... and what are the length of barrels and how is it choked... you have a family heirloom and some great stories to go with it.. hope the grandson gets a turkey with it... charlie

allen newell 05-06-2013 10:27 AM

Charlie, took the bird with 7 1/2's at about 25 yds. chokes are mod and improved. Barrel length is 28 inches. LOP is 15". chambers are 2 3/4".