Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   General Parker Discussions (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Assistance with Early Parker (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=31692)

Adam Conrad 11-23-2020 07:23 PM

Assistance with Early Parker

5 Attachment(s)
I'm a new member but posting here as this sub-forum seems to have more activity than the New Member Intro section.

I have what appears to be an early Parker with a serial number indicating c.1874 build. I received this gun from my grandfather several years ago before his passing. It does not appear to be exceptionally well cared for before my ownership, and I am now interested in learning more about it and potentially restoring or preserving it.

I've followed some of the identification procedures on this site but, due to the condition of the barrel, am having difficulty identifying some of the markings. For example, even the serial number under the forend is difficult to read, but appears to be 2095 or 3095. Hopefully some folks here will be kind enough to provide some assistance and point me in the right direction.

I will post some pictures and provide some additional commentary in a follow-up post.

Rick Losey 11-23-2020 07:28 PM

we would need to see the proof marks on the barrel flat and action to be sure -

but it seems to be a Belgium gun made to play off the British Parker guns

not an American Parker Brothers

Adam Conrad 11-23-2020 09:08 PM

Thank you for the information. Looks like this will get a quick cleaning and become a wall hanger. Given its condition I didn't think it would ever be safe to shoot.

Michael Moffa 11-23-2020 09:23 PM

Adam:

Welcome to Parker World! If you think that owning your Grandfather's Parker was cool, imagine how neat it would be to be the Grandfather who gives a Parker to his Grandson some time in the future. Affordable Parkers pop up on our for sale section all the time, so become a full member ask some questions of the extremely knowledgeable members and have fun being a "Parker" man.

Adam Conrad 11-23-2020 09:38 PM

Thanks Spin Drift. My interest in firearms has been rekindled recently so I may have to jump into the mix here. From a quick glance, it appears to be an active and welcoming community.

Hopefully I will one day have a grandson to pass along plenty of treasures. For now I have two wonderful teenage daughters that share some of my passions (sports, old Porsche's) but have not yet shown an interest in shooting sports or hunting. But there is still plenty of time.

todd allen 11-23-2020 09:55 PM

Adam, having a gun passed down to you from your grandfather makes that gun a treasure no matter who made it.
My grandparents on both sides owned shotguns, but the only one that filtered down to me is a humble old Eastern Arms .410 single shot.
This gun is hanging on the wall in my office as we speak.
Value? Not measurable.

Dean Romig 11-24-2020 06:35 AM

This is the first European ‘Parker’ marked gun I have ever seen with a side lever.