Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   Shotgun Shell Reloading (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   TSS shot in twist barrels (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=31348)

Matt Buckley 10-11-2020 07:58 AM

TSS shot in twist barrels

I am wondering if anybody has shot the smaller TSS shot out of twist or Damascus barrels with any issues? I am thinking about this for turkey hunting with small shot, like 8 and 9 shot with a Mylar wrap. The small shot should not be a problem with tight chokes and the Mylar wrap should protect the barrels walls from the hard shot in theory. I have recipes in the 6300 psi range that should work fine. Your thoughts?

Harry Collins 10-11-2020 10:48 AM

Matt,

I'm so out of it I had to google TSS. Tungsten Super Shot looks like a dream come true for turkey hunters and other venues. I can not shed light on your dilemma.

Kindest,
Harry

Michael Bartlett 10-11-2020 11:33 AM

Hi Matt,

This past spring turkey season in NY, I used 1oz, TSS #8's with a thick shot cup, mylar sheet and buffer material in the shot. This load is equivalent to a 3 1/2 magnum 10 ga load with #3 nickel plated shot in number of shot pellets. However, due to the density of TSS vs lead and the smaller #8 shot size there is less air frictional drag on these pellets.
As a result, the #8 TSS maintain their velocity over a greater distance, penetrate all the way through the turkeys and the pattern is exceptional since they don't deform. This load is effective to as much as 80 yards with a full choke. I used a DH, M/F, 30". D4 Damascus, 8# 4oz , 12 ga to kill my two birds this past spring. And let one of my friends use it for one of his birds. In that Parker, the 1oz load feels like a light skeet load with virtually no recoil. And, the birds are stone dead, all the pellets pass through the bird and, different than lead, the turkeys never move when you pick them up. No shot touches the barrel due to the thick wad lined with the mylar sheet. The load is equally effective on geese. Further, I anticipate state F&G will be altering shot size regulations for turkeys to allow #9 and #10's making small gauge shotguns effective turkey guns.

Joseph Flynn 10-11-2020 05:10 PM

This past spring a friend of mine started using a single barrel .410 paired with TSS. We called in a group of Jakes and he shot one and killed it stone dead at 37 yards. The bird flapped its wings a couple times and went still before we could walk over and pick it up. I am now a believer in TSS. No doubt I will be using it next spring, most likely I will shoot it through a Damascus DH 12ga.

David Holes 10-11-2020 05:38 PM

where is a good place to get tss

Matt Buckley 10-11-2020 07:35 PM

You can order TSS shot from ballistic products or google the name Hal Abbott and you can purchase it from him. He sells it in sizes from T shot to 12 shot and if you purchase shot from him he will provide you with reloading recipes.

David Holes 10-12-2020 04:21 AM

THANK YOU

Frank Cronin 10-12-2020 09:07 AM

How much does this stuff cost? Is the availability scarce like NiceShot?

Dean Romig 10-12-2020 09:27 AM

Go to www.oldgobbler.com to contact Hal Abbott.