Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   General Parker Discussions (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   What cases came with what grade? (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=28496)

Rick Riddell 11-02-2019 01:47 PM

What cases came with what grade?

Sorry if this has been covered, my search feature doesn’t work on my tablet. Was it standard for a gun to come with a case? We’re different cases associated with the different grades?

Mike Franzen 11-02-2019 04:27 PM

Rick I believe cases were a separately ordered accessory. The early hammer guns could be ordered with a walnut case such as the one just sold on the for sale forum. At some point Parker began shipping the guns in labeled cardboard boxes.

Patrick Lien 11-02-2019 07:07 PM

Check TPS volume 2 I think. It shows the cases and accessories that Parker offered. These could be ordered with a gun or separately. Sometime a factory letter will list accessories ordered with a gun.

PML

Dennis E. Jones 11-07-2019 09:03 AM

Were Parker cases marked? I've often wondered if the canvas case that came with a Parker hammer gun I have was a Parker accessory or an after market item. Since it's not marked I've always thought it after market.

Dean Romig 11-07-2019 09:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dennis E. Jones (Post 284790)
Were Parker cases marked? I've often wondered if the canvas case that came with a Parker hammer gun I have was a Parker accessory or an after market item. Since it's not marked I've always thought it after market.

IMO... In regard to cases that are not marked with the gunmaker’s name or logo, only a research letter alluding to a case included in the order or supplied with the gun can be considered supportive of the possibility that a case is original to a gun.

Kevin McCormack 11-07-2019 10:24 AM

No cases "came with" any grade Parker gun (or for that matter, any other major makers) As Dean and other posters point out, Parker Bros. being skilled merchandisers offered catalog choices ranging from the "El Cheapo" canvas sleeve with leather corners to a full-blown fitted oak & leather case similar to the best British makers. Likewise, if a request for a case came with the order for a gun, it was included and billed additionally with the rest of the order.

Bill Murphy 11-07-2019 04:11 PM

Kevin has it right. In the order book era, pre 1919, the case could be mentioned in the order, but not likely to be mentioned in the stock book. Post 1919, mention of cases in the stock books or IBM cards would be very scarce. No Parker markings on any case I have seen, but cases pictured in pre 1900 catalogs seem to be unique to Parkers, especially the walnut cases and later leather covered "shelltop" cases. "Shelltop" refers to the compartment in the lid that contains an obscene weight of loaded shells.

Dean Romig 11-07-2019 07:02 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Here are a few examples from an early Parker Brothers catalog. I don't know what year the catalog is but it discusses the availability of both Lifter Action as well as Top Action and Hammerless guns being available.

Josh Loewensteiner 11-07-2019 08:55 PM

I just had a gorgeous A1 Special in the 150,xxx SN range and the factory letter specified a “French Fitted Case” with a charge of $10.

Bill Murphy 11-08-2019 06:25 AM

My Charleston "Reunited" CH two barrel Bernard set is lettered with a #38 shelltop case, which is still with the gun and has been restored by Kevin McCormack. It is an 1897 gun.