Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   Shotgun Shell Reloading (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Not shotshell trivia (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=30512)

Stephen Hodges 06-26-2020 02:47 PM

Not shotshell trivia

As a follow up to Edgars Primer question, I have a trivia question regarding the naming of shotgun gauges. We all know what the bore diameters are for 10, 12, 16 and 20 gauge guns. But just how did each gauge mentioned get assigned the designation of 10, 12, 16 and 20 gauges?

Rick Losey 06-26-2020 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen Hodges (Post 305740)
As a follow up to Edgars Primer question, I have a trivia question regarding the naming of shotgun gauges. We all know what the bore diameters are for 10, 12, 16 and 20 gauge guns. But just how did each gauge mentioned get assigned the designation of 10, 12, 16 and 20 gauges?

balls of that diameter per pound of lead

did you know that in the 18th century Pennsylvania longrifles were not defined by caliber as we do now,

they also were identified as balls to a pound - to someone going off on a long hunt who was packing in lead it mattered how many shots he got for each pound he lugged into the wilderness - and since the bores were cut by hand - they varied a lot

militia units were issued bars of lead to "run" their own balls due to the lack of a standard

Stephen Hodges 06-26-2020 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rick Losey (Post 305742)
balls of that diameter per pound of lead

did you know that in the 18th century Pennsylvania longrifles were not defined by caliber as we do now,

they also were identified as balls to a pound - to someone going off on a long hunt who was packing in lead it mattered how many shots he got for each pound he lugged into the wilderness - and since the bores were cut by hand - they varied a lot

militia units were issued bars of lead to "run" their own balls due to the lack of a standard

Very interesting, Thanks. You never know when this stuff will come up in cocktail conversation:)

Dean Romig 06-26-2020 05:35 PM

I’ll be sure to bring ip these topics at our next social event. I’m sure everyone in attendance will be politely interested...

Rick Losey 06-26-2020 05:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dean Romig (Post 305748)
I’ll be sure to bring ip these topics at our next social event. I’m sure everyone in attendance will be politely interested...

oh - get them going on high brass vs low brass

that's always a popular topic at high tea

almost as popular as dram equivalent

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

charlie cleveland 06-26-2020 08:19 PM

looks like you fellows will start a new trend in social circles....should get some raised eye brows from the lady folks....be prepared...charlie

Mike Koneski 06-27-2020 10:32 AM

Don't stop there Dean, expound on how much better 1 oz through a 12g is much better than 1 1/8 oz. "But I need those extra pellets....!!" :corn:

Daryl Corona 06-27-2020 10:46 AM

Don't forget 7 1/2's vs. 8's...:banghead::banghead:

Sorry Steve. Not to hijact but I coul'd'nt resist.

Mike Koneski 06-27-2020 11:23 AM

How about the age old #10 or #12 shot for spreaders? :rotf::rotf:

Garry L Gordon 06-27-2020 12:37 PM

How 'bout: "chokes -- keep the originals or open them up?" Wait. That might generate a discussion that won't end well. Better stick with politics as a discussion topic.:bigbye: