Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   Parker Reproductions (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   28 ga repro, double triggers long lop,Beavertail (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=38244)

Pat Dugan 01-13-2023 09:56 PM

28 ga repro, double triggers long lop,Beavertail

On Guns International
2 barrels, long length of pull
Beavertail , double triggers
$ 11 000, what do you think
Thanks

Pat

Dean Romig 01-14-2023 12:11 AM

Too much!!

Greg Baehman 01-14-2023 09:09 AM

If that were an original Meriden-built Parker Bros. gun in comparable condition, comparable wood, comparable everything - including the case and oil bottle - the whole shebang. What do you suppose the asking price might be?

In that light, $11K may look like a bargain, eh?

edgarspencer 01-14-2023 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greg Baehman (Post 379916)
If that were an original Meriden-built Parker Bros. gun in comparable condition, comparable wood, comparable everything - including the case and oil bottle - the whole shebang. What do you suppose the asking price might be?

But, It isn't

Jay Oliver 01-14-2023 10:13 AM

I should have bought a repro 3-5 years ago when prices were reasonable...in my opinion that market is out of control.

Great if you are a seller, but as a buyer, I will likely always gravitate towards an original Parker.

Quick edit: I have enjoyed shooting a few repros and I appreciate them, I just don't want to pay current prices when I can find wonderful originals for equal or less money

Bill Murphy 01-14-2023 10:21 AM

Ten years ago, when Repros were at the top of the market, I think it was Jack Puglisi or some other famous dealer, advertised an identical gun for $10,000, a world record at the time. It sold pretty quickly and then the market settled a bit. It was a very rare combination then and it is now. An even scarcer combination is a one barrel 28" gun with those same features.

edgarspencer 01-14-2023 10:39 AM

For the same, or a little more, I think I'd prefer to have two separate guns. I paid about half that for my two barrel set. I paid exactly half that for a 2 trigger, 26" just a year ago.
Is it just me, or is the nose of the comb, on the subject gun, a little exaggerated?

Greg Baehman 01-14-2023 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by edgarspencer (Post 379922)
But, It isn't

Obviously it isn't, it's so much more! :duck:

If you'd like to argue that, take it up with Trevallion, as it was him that opined "Parker Reproduction guns were in every respect equal - if not superior - to the originals."

Dean Romig 01-14-2023 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by edgarspencer (Post 379926)
For the same, or a little more, I think I'd prefer to have two separate guns. I paid about half that for my two barrel set. I paid exactly half that for a 2 trigger, 26" just a year ago.
Is it just me, or is the nose of the comb, on the subject gun, a little exaggerated?

I think the nose of the comb is about typical for a straight grip Edgar.

Dean Romig 01-14-2023 01:56 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Greg Baehman (Post 379933)

Obviously it isn't, it's so much more! :duck:

If you'd like to argue that, take it up with Trevallion, as it was him that opined "Parker Reproduction guns were in every respect equal - if not superior - to the originals."

Actually I have talked with David on the subject of Repros and he and I both agree that they are equal or even superior to the originals as regards metallurgy and tolerances and interchangeability of parts but the Repros are, without question, lacking in that "soul" we attribute to the originals - especially those that have been hunted with, shot at competition targets and have developed that certain patina of careful loving use. The originals have been handled, loved, revered, cleaned by a father, grandfather, great grandfather, great, great grandfather....The Repros can't claim any of this yet.... and that's the operative word "Yet"

And I'll qualify my previous post on this thread where I said "Too much".

If it were the same gun with only one set of barrels - and it doesn't matter which because we each have our own preferences in chokes - so one set of barrels will usually languish in the case for as long as the buyer owns it. So the extra set of barrels is basically "extra baggage" for most of us. In fact, over time and for whatever reason, that extra set may even become separated from the gun, thereby making that extra set a liability.
For investment purposes... maybe the two-barrel-set demands a premium but the gun with just one set of barrels - and I'll even give it it's one-barrel case - is probably worth (IMHO) $6k - $6.5K so I reason $11k is "Too much".