Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   Hunting with Parkers (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   WVA Deer Opener ! (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=40506)

CraigThompson 11-20-2023 10:31 AM

WVA Deer Opener !

10 Attachment(s)
Nope I didn’t kill anything with a Parker today but I had a Grade 1 10 gauge 2 frame with factory 26” barrels up the tree with me along with my little Mannlicher Schoenauer MC in 6.5x54 MS . Had a four point walk up to about twenty five yards of me and when I started walking away I let him have it and flip that was at 07:05 AM . Sat there a bit longer and a doe angled up behind me so I let her have it at about forty five yards . Shot both with my handloads but killed the buck with a Nosler 140 grain Ballistic Tip and the doe with a Nosler 140 grain AccBond . That makes six deer I’ve killed with that rifle and each one using a different 140 grain bullet . All with the same sight in .

CraigThompson 11-20-2023 10:34 AM

I had three tags two buck and a doe tag . It appears I’m down to a buck tag . Brought along my 6.5-06 and my suppressed 260 . The 6.5-06 is lighter so it’ll get the nod for the remainder I think . Probably not drags shotgun along now :whistle:

Randy G Roberts 11-20-2023 10:48 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I have been thinning the herd as well. This guy came by early yesterday and ran off 4 does so I let him have it. Still no signs of a big deer here this year. EHD has taken its toll, evidenced by the lack of shooting as well. I keep hoping a traveler will come through but the odds are long. Probably turn to stocking the freezer after the holidays.

CraigThompson 11-20-2023 12:33 PM

It’s a PITA skinning and cutting up without hanging the darn things ! And yes that’s what I’m doing at the moment .

CraigThompson 11-21-2023 07:29 AM

Well the winds blowing like heck today and the forecast says rain all day . Game plan has changed ! I’m gonna get just about everything loaded today then Wednesday morning homeward bound hopefully by 8 AM . It’s 3 1/2 hours back over the Alleghenies and Blue Ridge mountains as well as being the day before Gobble Bird Day so the sooner Wednesday I get started the better .

Garry L Gordon 11-21-2023 08:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CraigThompson (Post 399130)
Well the winds blowing like heck today and the forecast says rain all day . Game plan has changed ! I’m gonna get just about everything loaded today then Wednesday morning homeward bound hopefully by 8 AM . It’s 3 1/2 hours back over the Alleghenies and Blue Ridge mountains as well as being the day before Gobble Bird Day so the sooner Wednesday I get started the better .

Be safe in your travels.

Mike Koneski 11-21-2023 11:31 AM

Randy, those 'yotes make for great jerky and Slim Jims. :cool:

Randy G Roberts 11-21-2023 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Koneski (Post 399156)
Randy, those 'yotes make for great jerky and Slim Jims. :cool:

Great, I'll freeze the next one for you and bring it to the Rock:rotf:

CraigThompson 11-21-2023 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Garry L Gordon (Post 399138)
Be safe in your travels.

When I came over here in the warmer months I went by Harrisonburg on 33 all the way to Elkins and as I may have mentioned before that road is like a coiled up snake almost . So sunday I took a different route got on 64 in Charlottesville and took it over to Staunton and then took 250 . In some ways the road was better but you still had curly que roads to travel .

CraigThompson 11-21-2023 01:52 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I’ve got most of my stuff loaded up . All I need to do is haul a cooler and duffle out in the AM .