Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   Foto Fridays (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Heavy Duck gun on a clays course (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=23147)

Frank Srebro 01-12-2018 08:43 AM

Heavy Duck gun on a clays course

1 Attachment(s)
Wednesday was pretty decent weather-wise and my gang got out to shoot clays for the first time since last year. 20 degrees early on and about 40 when we left. We had 8 shooters in our group = 6 with competition clays guns, one Baker hammer gun, and I shot one of my Winchester M-12 Heavy Duck guns - this one an earlier solid rib 32-incher. I'd dug her out of the safe for ducks a couple of weeks ago but it's been way too cold and iced in, and our quacker season ends tomorrow. These HD's have a sighting plane that's almost 3" longer than a side by side with the same length barrels. Way cool for those tall ones and long crossers over the water but maybe not so good with that Full choke and on a mixed range clays course? Anyway, it must have been a lucky day; this one ended up only 2 ex 100 birds less than our squad's top shooter on Wednesday. :) She’s shown here flanked by a tricked out Beretta gas gun and a Model 12 30-inch Vent Rib Trap.

Mills Morrison 01-12-2018 09:46 AM

I have a Model 12 16 gauge and have been severely tempted to get a Heavy Duck

Daryl Corona 01-12-2018 05:26 PM

Nice shooting Frank. I also dug my 1940 solid rib, 30" M12 out of the safe and took it out yesterday and shot a few geese with it. The guys I hunt with never know what gun I will show up with so it makes for some interesting conversation until the birds start moving. They all shoot camo auto's.
As a sidebar- I'm really impressed with the new Rio bismuth loads 1 1/8-4's. Last bird of our limit was an honest 50 yard, 1 shot kill. It's been a great season for geese with a few ducks thrown in.

Rick Losey 01-12-2018 05:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mills Morrison (Post 232649)
have been severely tempted to get a Heavy Duck

join the club- just pay attention to the chokes :rolleyes:

i find it is not uncommon to find someone opened them, sometimes a lot, for steel shot-

i have sent a couple back that i was assured were righteous

Jeff Christie 01-12-2018 07:26 PM

I use my Heavy Duck when I leave the EH 10 at home. I had my HD choke opened up (to .707) and never looked back. It patterns steel BB and BBB beautifully. I only hunt geese. With the original full the only shell it would pattern adequately was 2s and I was crippling more than I found acceptable. I am 74 years old, have cancer and have quit caring about what "value" means (translation don't give a $h1t). It is all about life and enjoying every moment we are given. Someone else can worry. I actually thought about choke tubes (blasphemy) but was enuf of a purist to avoid that temptation. This is for Mills- yield to temptation- get a HD. You will have a great time with it.

Mills Morrison 01-16-2018 04:18 PM

The one I was looking at got away. Will keep looking . . . I had pledged not to get any more guns this year, but that resolution is broken

Stephen Hodges 01-16-2018 04:47 PM

Mills, buy one and you will not regret it. i bought one last summer off the forum and had a lot of fun duck hunting with it this fall. I also shot a few clays with it and you would be amazed at how far out you can cursh one:shock:

Joe Dreisch 01-16-2018 07:38 PM

choke constriction-HD

With all of this talk of opening chokes on HD guns I got out my 1940 30" solid rib gun this morning and measured it. Bore is .730. Choke starts 3" from muzzle and ends with a 3/4" long parallel .693 at the muzzle (.037 constriction). Is that about correct for that era Heavy Duck?
Thanks, Joe

Daryl Corona 01-16-2018 07:54 PM

Mine is not a heavy duck Joe but my dimensions are exactly like yours.

Jeff Christie 01-16-2018 08:08 PM

I ran steel BBs in mine as well as hevishot BB before I moved over to the dark side and opened it up a bit. It just produced unacceptable patterns except with 2s. I primarily hunt big heavy Canadas. Opening up works super for me. Might not for everyone. I think my choke measured .693 as well. It is a used but not abused 1953 gun. Now I try to use my EH most of the time. It is just too much fun to leave it at home.