Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   New User Introductions (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Glad to be here! (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=16181)

Frank Wilson 04-21-2015 04:03 PM

Glad to be here!

Hello from Oklahoma. Longtime admirer of vintage SxS shotguns and recently had the fortune of owning one at a price I could justify to the boss (now that 4 daughters are done with college). I'm the proud owner of a 1903 (117,330)Parker 16 V grade 0 frame. Just the kind of gun I always wanted for dove and quail hunting here in southern OK. Not really interested in ever selling since I'd like to give to the first grandson someday but I would still like everyone's thoughts on whether to restock this old gun. The gun locks up tight on face and seems to be mechanically sound as ever. No case color left on receiver and little bluing left on barrels. Fore end stock is "perfectly worn" in my uneducated opinion. But my question is whether there is a chance the butt stock is original even though there is no checkering and I can't see any evidence of it ever having any? Butt plate and pistol grip cap appears worn and original and fit perfectly. I plan to leave everything as is if stock is original but would like to replace and spruce it up if not. Thoughts?

P.S. I know pics will help and I'll post asap if I can figure out how.

John Dallas 04-21-2015 04:06 PM

Go to the "FAQ" section for a good instruction on posting pix. Good luck.

Chuck Bishop 04-21-2015 04:58 PM

If you carefully take out the trigger guard screw without causing damage to it, carefully lift the tang up and rotate it CCW. The serial number should be stamped in the wood. You could also post pictures of the stock and we may be able to tell from the pictures.

Frank Wilson 04-21-2015 11:55 PM

1903 16 ga V grade 0 frame

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 40835

Thanks for the info. I'll check for the s/n on the stock tomorrow. Meanwhile, here's my first pic... I hope.

Frank Wilson 04-22-2015 12:10 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 40836

One more. Stock is a little boogered up around the tang.

Frank Wilson 04-23-2015 01:03 AM

As suspected, no s/n on stock so assume not original. Oh well, I really wanted to find just the right piece of walnut to restore the beauty of the old gun.

charlie cleveland 04-23-2015 09:41 PM

why not refinish the stock thats on it..some new varnish or linseed oil mite briten up the wood you have now...a new stock done rite will cost away more than you gave for this gun.....charlie

Frank Wilson 04-23-2015 11:24 PM

Thanks for the feedback. I'm a DIY junkie so I plan to do the restock myself. I actually repaired and refinished a stock on an old Fox Sterly 20 ga some time back and I really enjoyed the project and couldn't be more pleased with how it turned out. I learned I can have a new stock turned and semi-inletted from a piece of walnut of my choosing from my place here in southern OK for $115. That's kinda how I wound up with this fine Parker as I couldn't wait to get on the next one. I'm starting to suspect this could be habit forming.

Gary Carmichael Sr 04-28-2015 09:21 AM

Frank, Yes! it is habit forming, and sometimes to the extreme! gary

calvin humburg 06-02-2015 06:36 AM

Habit forming O yeah. Gotta love thoes 16s. ch