Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   Parker Engraving & Engravers (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Another GHE--Does stock engraving count (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=2999)

Gary Cripps 12-12-2010 08:34 PM

Another GHE--Does stock engraving count

5 Attachment(s)
This little 20 ga took possession of me two years ago from an Ill. estate.The family could not recall who did the carving but thought it was done in the Oregon Ill. area. I have some old Stoeger catalogs and see they also did stock carving. It is dated 1932 and the gun was made in 1929. Has anyone seen this kind of carving on any other stocks? Is the checkering in the flat near the frame by the factory or the carver?

Bruce Day 12-12-2010 09:30 PM

There are other examples of folk art carving on buttstocks, done with varying degrees of success. This is likethe Germanic Scheutzen ( sp?) style.

The stock cheek panel checkering looks aftermarket to me.

Gary Cripps 12-12-2010 10:44 PM

Thanks
It was nice wood before it was carved. Wish he (the carver) would have stuck to coo coo clocks

Bruce Day 12-13-2010 08:26 AM

Yep. But we still see things like that today with laser engraved deer, hogs, dogs, girlfriends, etc. on buttstocks.

More Parkers are damaged by people messing with them than from any other cause.

Dean Romig 12-13-2010 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bruce Day (Post 29718)
The stock cheek panel checkering looks aftermarket to me.

I agree.

Norm Growden 12-16-2010 05:46 PM

No need to apologize for it, it's still a NICE gun.

Richard Flanders 12-19-2010 10:37 PM

At least it's nicely done, and not with a hatchet like some seem to be...

lee r moege 12-26-2010 05:53 PM

Many years ago( 50 probably) I refinished a 16 gage DH Damascus for a fellow that had a setter in raised relief on the right side of the stock. It was not inlaid and then sculpted but was carved from the stock when it was shaped. I always assumed that it was a special order gun, was this possible? Happy New Year. Lee. (I'd post a smiley or something but haven't been able to figure out how to do it.)

Gary Cripps 12-26-2010 08:13 PM

It was possible to order a gun from Stoeger's with "wood carving on rifle stocks". This is from their catalog No. 29 on page 15. Animals were $20. The Parkers were listed on pages 154 and 155. I don't see why they would not carve them as well when requested. I think catalog 29 is a 1937. My GHE was priced at $134.
Since my carving is dated 1932 I think it was done in the field. My hope was it would be a famous decoy carver someone would recognize. Not to date anyway.

calvin humburg 12-29-2010 07:59 AM

Lee hit the go advanced square and they will show up. :) that fellow was handy with a chisel though.

Steve McCarty 10-19-2011 04:07 PM

As someone said already this looks like German work to me. I also think it is a homegrown wood worker, who was skilled. A great many Germans immigrated in the 19th Century.

I don't like the German carved guns, and this is not my taste, but it is well done and interesting. Gun looks in nice condition.

Gary Cripps 10-19-2011 05:32 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks, It's a working gun and did OK last week end.

Brent Francis 10-21-2011 05:42 PM

I like it. Its very well done. I would prefer a g with a nice touch like that makes it unique. Ive heard its only in America that we insist on all original in our antiques. Lucky for me I dont care if I like the way it looks I take the savings to the bank. then again I never sell anything.

Bill Murphy 10-26-2011 08:38 PM

Gary, that gun is a fine piece of work and I would buy it. Leroy Merz had a carved Parker for a while and someone saw it for what it was and now it is gone. I should have bought it. It was a great gun as yours is.

Francis Morin 10-29-2011 09:18 AM

Guten Tag, Herr Oberst!

[quote=Bruce Day;29718]There are other examples of folk art carving on buttstocks, done with varying degrees of success. This is likethe Germanic Scheutzen ( sp?) style. Ja- schuetzen Oberst Day- ist das korrekte Wort fur 'shooting' in der Deutschen Sprache gerade als groBem fettem pickelkopf beschreibt ein von Herrn W.S's- Komodienskizzen. Ich bein auf Deutsch ein wenig flieBend und Spanisch-- aber es ist haufig-- nutzlich!!

:bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:

Francis Morin 10-29-2011 09:23 AM

Me too--

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dean Romig (Post 29749)
I agree.

- Eyes like an eagle, talons like a spring steel trap- Der Alder ist gelandet, Ja!! I love German and Austrian firearms, both military and civilian/sporting versions. I have seen several fine drillings (drei- three auf deutsch- three barreled- but they all are that goofy 16 gauge that they seem to like over there in Europe-the workmanship, fit and fitting- look at all the great American gunmakers and engravers from Germany that settled here- : Pachmayr, Wunderlich, Fugger, Schellhammer, Wundhammer, Apfel, AH Fox (Fuchs auf deutsch) he didn't build his "Filly factory' in Germantown sector just for 'laughs"--Ya- das ist gut!!!

edgarspencer 10-29-2011 10:14 AM

Francis, have you been into the schnapps this morning?

Francis Morin 10-29-2011 11:39 AM

Every morning-

Schnapps is waaaay better for curing 'morning mouth' that Lavoris or Scope. Hoping to find a Warsteiner Brau flavored toothpaste, but no luck so far.
Tonight I am serving roast goose mit sauerkraut-kugel- brot- und Leibfraumilch-- and for the post-prandial, after the fish and goose soirre ( a friend is bringing smoked salmon and pickled herring -lukefist- das ist GUT--we'll have "open bar on the schnapps mit sprtizen-- I won big time on the World serious- had the games to go 7 (Yup) and the Cards to win it all (yup again) so we are having a wild game fest at my humble abode tonight--

The tomorrow, we can all commiserate with the detroit "Pussy-kats' as then get their tails tucked between their kneecaps in Denver-- c'est la Vie!!:bigbye::bigbye:

Dave Suponski 10-29-2011 12:58 PM

16 gauge guns are great guns..Many of us here really have an affliction for them. To say 12 gauge is the only way to go is short sighted.

Steve McCarty 10-29-2011 03:18 PM

The more I study the issue, the more I think the English method of varying the weight of shot by shortening the shells and shooting them all through a 12 bore is a good idea. This is why they make such light 12 bore guns. While shooting shorter shells with less energy and shot weight, pretty much makes auto's unusable, who cares? We are break up guns types aren't we?

My Lefever I grade is very light and I'm going to shoot shorter shells in it - just for the heck of it. Up to now I've been shooting 1 oz loads-store bought. My Fox is quite heavy and I'm shooting heaver loads in it. My GH? Haven't shot it yet, it's still busted inside somewhere. While I own 20's and 16's, the thought of shooting a 12 with 2" and 2.5" shells intrigues me. You know, just for the fun of it.

Someday maybe I'll own a fine English double chambered for shooter shells. I hope so. I'll have to find one cheap however; unlikely huh.

Jeff Mayhew 10-29-2011 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve McCarty (Post 53518)
While shooting shorter shells with less energy and shot weight, pretty much makes auto's unusable, who cares? We are break up guns types aren't we?

Well, uhh, not entirely.... :whistle:

http://i1218.photobucket.com/albums/...i_m4_wlite.jpg

Francis Morin 10-29-2011 05:29 PM

Who Dat- what said dat?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Suponski (Post 53514)
16 gauge guns are great guns..Many of us here really have an affliction for them. To say 12 gauge is the only way to go is short sighted.

Davey boy- I never said 12's are the ONLY way to go- although the olde laws of supply and demand (Adam Smith and his wealthy nations aside) work in favor of the 12 bores over all the other gauges, at least IMO. I just can't see spending the $ for a fine German or Austrian drilling with 16 gauge barrels ( and 2 & 9/16" or 65mm for your Metric lads) and have to buy the premium priced shorter shells), but then, I keep my "dinero' close to the vest- for those out there in PGCA-land and elsewhere that like the 16 bore- go for it, I won't stand in your way-- Now if I could get one of those Luftwaffe 12 gauge drillings in the case and all the extras- and a General officer's issue Walther as well- I'd be walkin' in "tall cotton" indeed!!:cool::cool:

Steve McCarty 10-29-2011 07:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Mayhew (Post 53525)
Well, uhh, not entirely.... :whistle:

http://i1218.photobucket.com/albums/...i_m4_wlite.jpg

What is that funny looking thing anyway? A ray gun? Is it Martian medicine?

As for 16 bores? I love them. I'd like to have a sxs 16, but I don't. Have two pumps though. I think that they spit better pattens than a 20. Even if they don't, I think they do, which makes me a better shot with one. Shotgun shooting being a head trip just like golf.

I also think I'd play better golf it I chopped at the little white ball with the butt of a shotgun while holding the barrel. I'm a really lousy golfer and frankly I don't care. I'd much rather shoot trap.

Francis Morin 10-29-2011 08:38 PM

Golf is the word FLOG- spelled backwards-

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve McCarty (Post 53534)
What is that funny looking thing anyway? A ray gun? Is it Martian medicine?

As for 16 bores? I love them. I'd like to have a sxs 16, but I don't. Have two pumps though. I think that they spit better pattens than a 20. Even if they don't, I think they do, which makes me a better shot with one. Shotgun shooting being a head trip just like golf.

I also think I'd play better golf it I chopped at the little white ball with the butt of a shotgun while holding the barrel. I'm a really lousy golfer and frankly I don't care. I'd much rather shoot trap.

I like golf, and it doesn't like me all that well- but I like to drive the carts (like my John Deere Gator 4x6 in a Tuxedo--) drink cold beers, and keep track of the "Bingy-Bangy-Bungy" although when I'm in a foursome with Al Facciacio, Tony Lagussa and Johnny Brann Jr.- then it's rephrased to _ "Badda Bingy- Badda Bangy-Badda Boom-Bungy"- but as mark Twain once said "Golf- aka- pasture pool- is a good walk- spoiled" he might be right. And you'll lose less money shooting Trap than you will Craps- and that's a Fact-Jack!!!:bigbye:

Jack Cronkhite 10-29-2011 10:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve McCarty (Post 53518)
... the thought of shooting a 12 with 2" and 2.5" shells intrigues me. You know, just for the fun of it.

For the past two seasons, the few times I've been out, I have used 2 1/2" 1oz Game Bore Pure Gold shells (6 or 7 shot). At first, they seemed way too small to do the job. They just didn't look right, after five decades of 2 3/4" 1 1/4 oz or greater shot shells. They look normal to me now. My first shot out of a VH, I missed but the second barrel dropped that rooster dead at 40+ yards. Had an English (Boswell) under lever hammer gun out twice this year. Four shots, 3 roosters (one pushing 50 yards). Also had a Bland hammer gun out - 3 shots one rooster. The misses are not the fault of the guns nor the ammo. :rolleyes:
So if you want to try the shorter shells, have fun. I did and will continue to do so.

Cheers,
Jack

http://parkerguns.org/forums/attachm...1&d=1319774450

Steve McCarty 10-30-2011 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jack Cronkhite (Post 53542)
For the past two seasons, the few times I've been out, I have used 2 1/2" 1oz Game Bore Pure Gold shells (6 or 7 shot). At first, they seemed way too small to do the job. They just didn't look right, after five decades of 2 3/4" 1 1/4 oz or greater shot shells. They look normal to me now. My first shot out of a VH, I missed but the second barrel dropped that rooster dead at 40+ yards. Had an English (Boswell) under lever hammer gun out twice this year. Four shots, 3 roosters (one pushing 50 yards). Also had a Bland hammer gun out - 3 shots one rooster. The misses are not the fault of the guns nor the ammo. :rolleyes:
So if you want to try the shorter shells, have fun. I did and will continue to do so.

Cheers,
Jack

http://parkerguns.org/forums/attachm...1&d=1319774450

Great post, Jack. Sounds like a ball! Also a wonderful photo. I'm shooting shorties in my GH soon as she's fixed.

Larry Stauch 01-02-2012 09:52 PM

Back on message!!

:banghead:

Boys boys boys, weren't we discussing this good man's GHE 20 gauge butt stock carving and if there were others out there that were similar??

Now black guns with flash lights attached and 12 ga vs 16 ga???

Come on