Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   Man's Best Friend (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   Scout - French Brittany (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=32183)

Doug Precourt 01-17-2021 04:43 PM

Scout - French Brittany

I shared this on the Fox collectors site, but Scout is my first bird dog and was already pointing when he was 5 or so months old. He has been so much fun!
- Doug

Doug Precourt 01-17-2021 04:46 PM

I included pictures, but they are not posting? Even the pictures I put on my membership profile is not showing?

Doug Precourt 01-17-2021 05:07 PM

Pictures of Scout

3 Attachment(s)
Pictures of Scout - Hope it works this time

Garry L Gordon 01-17-2021 05:16 PM

I really like the coloring of Scout. It's so good to have a good one to begin your life with gun dogs. So, what birds are you hunting there in CO(?)

Doug Precourt 01-17-2021 09:24 PM

Scout - French Brittany Spaniel

1 Attachment(s)
Yes, the Black and White Roan coloring is unique compared to our American Brittanys, which are usually orange&white or liver&white.

After living in New England and Virginia over 34 years, we have been in Colorado for 3 1/2 years, closer to our children and grandchildren, who all settled in the west. So far I have hunted some wild Pheasants on the Nebraska border as well as bought/fielded Pheasants, Chukars and Bobwhites with friends. Took Scout up into the mountains near Steamboat hot springs in October looking for him to point Dusky Grouse. He found about a half dozen or so, but I didn’t take a gun. Working with him took both hands on the check cord. With Scout ready, I want to do quail in SE Colorado and possibly just over the boarder in SW Kansas we can scare up some pheasants.
- Doug

Garry L Gordon 01-17-2021 10:29 PM

There can be decent quail hunting in SW Kansas. We've hunted the Cimarron Grasslands before with good luck. Good luck with that good looking pup.

Ken Hill 01-18-2021 11:12 PM

Doug,

I have hunted the KS WIHAs for over 14 years. This year has been especially tough finding birds. SE CO can be very hit of miss and public hunting areas are few. I always found it worth while driving the extra hour or two to hunt KS. Good luck with your training. Nice looking pup!

Ken

Doug Precourt 01-18-2021 11:32 PM

Thanks Ken and MoBirdHunter

John Davis 01-19-2021 01:24 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Not trying to hijack your thread but here's another Scout. My oldest daughter catching her first fish on a fly rod. She's 20 years old now. My how time flies.

Ed Norman 01-20-2021 06:04 PM

Doug,
Congratulations on getting that dog. I have some buddies that love french brittanies and swear by them. Wishing you many happy days afield.

George Davis 01-21-2021 08:46 PM

One of my bird dogs is a French Brittany, Won multiple field trails in the past and after three liters was neutered and just a bird hunting machine. Could you share the breeder and any knowledge of Scout's blood lines? Are you a member of the French Brittany Club?

Doug Precourt 01-22-2021 07:56 PM

John,
No problem with hijacking Scout’s thread for such a cute “Scout” of your own, in the tradition of “To Kill a Mocking Bird”. Especially with a first fly caught trout! I volunteered with the Boy Scouts for years and taught many young men to fly fish. It’s a wonderful thing you are doing. Both of our sons (all grown up) are Eagle Scouts and my wife and I agreed to give this dog that name because he was as squirrelly as a Cub Scout.

Ed,
Thanks for the note. The French Brittanys have become very popular and for good reason.
- Doug

Doug Precourt 01-24-2021 01:21 AM

Scout’s Breeder and Linage

Hi George,
Just seeing your message. Scout came from the Lucky Seven Kennels in Payson, Utah. I have been unable to find any French Brittany Spaniel breeders here in Colorado, but there is one over next door in Kansas. Give me call at 720-610-5993 and we can talk pedigree. We will soon be UKC registered.
Thanks
- Doug

George Davis 01-24-2021 10:12 AM

I'll call you later this week as I'm helping friend deal with sudden death in the family.

George Davis 01-24-2021 01:57 PM

Big Sky Epagneul Gun Dog Club type: montanabreton.
The National French Club: ceb-us
Type: L'Adour Kennels

The Big Sky club is really active and are from multiple states. Their trials are usually in Montana, South Dakota or Minnesota. They are a great group and very active and hunting is their passion. Hang with this group and you'll be invited for some great bird hunting plus good discussion of dogs, shotguns, wine and Irish Whiskey. Group for years goes to Georgia for a plantation shoot.

Jules (my French Brit) is from the L'Adour Boodline line and her father "Clint" won the 2011 Euro World Field Trail (no sure if that's the correct tile). Clint was imported by a attorney and Clint floats between Georgia and Montana depending on the bird season.

George Davis 01-25-2021 11:07 AM

I miss spelled: L'Ardour. sorry

Alfred Houde 03-28-2021 03:02 PM

I really like that color. He is a handsome one. During this past season I ran into another bird hunter who had an American Brittany. This one was liver and white and was also a fine looking dog.