Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   Shotgun Shell Reloading (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   16 ga Cheddite and Claybuster wads (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=32542)

Harold Lee Pickens 02-19-2021 12:10 PM

16 ga Cheddite and Claybuster wads

I had found a load using Universal, Cheddite hulls, and the Claybuster clone for the old WAA 16 wad. It all fit nicely, but then read that powder migration in straight walled hulls with this wad was a problem,and I might get alot of weak loads or bloopers, others said it was with the old WAA16 wad but not with the newer CB wads. Any body have any experiance with this or thoughts. Was trying to use up a bag of wads that has been sitting here for a long time--plus they are much cheaper than the SG 16 wad.

Frank Srebro 02-19-2021 02:01 PM

Harold, I'm just getting into 16 ga reloading and my new Sizemaster arrived a few days ago. Guidance from a friend who reloads for 16 is the CB 1078-16 in Cheddite hulls does go Bang but he sees powder migration past the wad base and the report and recoil are weaker than his typical load with Gualandi SG wads.

Friend suggested and I now have plenty of pink CB 1078-16's for use in black colored Remington Game Load hulls. They measure about .637" diameter across the seal surface - that's an average because they're not perfectly round. Also bought a big stock of G SG wads for use in fired RST hulls; they average about .660" base diameter. Easy to understand why the CB's might not be the best in Euro hulls like Cheddites.

\

Daryl Corona 02-19-2021 02:39 PM

Harold;

See if you can locate some Downrange DR16 wads. They are scarce, like other components, but are worth the search. I've used them in the Rem RGL hulls , Federal and Cheddite hulls. They are versatile allowing you to load from 3/4 to 1 oz. loads.

Good luck.

Austin J Hawthorne Jr. 02-19-2021 02:45 PM

I've also had the Universal powder migration problem with (New) Cheddite hulls and WAA16 wads, but after 2 or 3 uses the slightly roughed-up interiors seem to keep the migration in check. FWIW...I use a bulkier powder such as Green Dot with the (New) hulls and switch to Universal after a few firings.

Harold Lee Pickens 02-19-2021 04:54 PM

Thanks all, was just trying to get rid of some wads I dont use. Got the load from the Hogdons reloading site. I actually fit it in a 2 1/2" cheddite with 7/8 oz. I loaded up a box to try. I prefer to load only 2 1/2" hulls but have lots of 2 3/4" available--have 500 black RGL's, 200 Feds, and 500+ Herters/chedite.
If they worked, the CB wads are cheaper and more readily available than SG and DR wads (and made in the USA).
Austin, may I should try it in some hulls that have a couple reloads on them. Mostly shooting clays with them, so they wont get jostled around like Hunting loads.
Daryl, I do have 1000 DR16 wads and lots of RGL's, and 20/28--that is a good load.

CraigThompson 02-19-2021 11:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harold Lee Pickens (Post 326385)
Thanks all, was just trying to get rid of some wads I dont use.

I was trying to do the same with stuff I’d acquired in package deals . And it ended up with me buying more of just about all of it ! Luckily atleast before the shortage craze began .

edgarspencer 02-20-2021 05:54 AM

My rule of thumb is simply Don't use a wad intended for a AA hull, in anything but a AA hull. They are smaller in the gas cup end, in order to fit the tapered hull.

john pulis 02-21-2021 08:13 AM

Nick Sisley published a host of recipes for RST, Cheddite 16 gauge hulls, with both DR-16 and the BP, Gulandi, wads in Skeet Shooting now listed in Hogdons. He used Universal, International, PB, and 7625 with Nobel Sport primers. There was a posting some time ago on SG World listing Aliant 20-28, tested by Precision.

Harold Lee Pickens 02-21-2021 09:16 AM

John, I have a photocopy of Nick's posting--I'll try and put it up here.

john pulis 02-22-2021 08:12 AM

Good idea Harold. I wish I was more computer literate. I have only just mastered email and internet searching and my daughter now flat out refuses to assist a not so old Luddite.