Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   Parker Reproductions (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Anyone have a repro oil bottle? (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=23721)

John Nagel 03-17-2018 09:10 PM

Anyone have a repro oil bottle?

Saw a repro oil bottle at the Baltimore show today and I didn't know they existed. I would really like to have one and am willing to pay good money.

Jeff Kuss 03-17-2018 10:25 PM

They came in the case.

Dean Romig 03-18-2018 06:46 AM

I wonder why so many cased Repros in 'as new' condition are missing the original snap caps and oil bottles...?

Robin Lewis 03-18-2018 06:50 AM

I bought my Parker Reproduction with case and cover and the only thing in the case was the key. I saw the compartments but I assumed if I wanted one I had to buy the bottle later.

Greg Baehman 03-18-2018 07:57 AM

Many, if not most, of those oil bottles encountered having "Parker Reproduction" on them are not original. But, instead were produced and sold by Cape Outfitters in Cape Girardeau, MO. Several years ago I had a conversation with Jeff from Jeff's Outfitters and Jeff told me of the time he was working for Don Shrum, the owner Cape Outfitters when Don put together a 3 item "Parker Reproduction Accessory Set" that included a pair of snap caps, an oil bottle and a cleaning rod. They sold them like hot cakes for $109.95/set. Shrum had the components engraved by a local trophy or jewelry shop. I don't know why someone couldn't do the same thing today.

Scot Cardillo 03-18-2018 08:15 AM

How can one tell if they have an original or one borne from the Cape Outfitters effort?

John, the only one I've ever seen in the last couple of yrs was offered on ebay for silly money. It's gone so I presume someone bought it.

Eric Eis 03-18-2018 08:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robin Lewis (Post 238459)
I bought my Parker Reproduction with case and cover and the only thing in the case was the key. I saw the compartments but I assumed if I wanted one I had to buy the bottle later.

Just like Robin, I bought my two barrel set 28 ga new and it didn't come with oil bottle or snap caps. I think Greg is correct as I remember Cape Outfitters selling that kit and telling myself I should buy one but didn't! :banghead: I don't think they came from the factory with them, just aftermarket.

Scot Cardillo 03-18-2018 09:14 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Didn't the high grade guns come with an oil bottle as part of the package?

Eric Eis 03-18-2018 09:23 AM

Good question, mine was just a D grade. Maybe someone with all the catalogs could check to see if they were available as an option or came with the higher grade guns.

Greg Baehman 03-18-2018 09:56 AM

I've always assumed that the Parker Reproduction marked oil bottles that accompanied the A-1 Special or B-Grade guns were original, but I'm not positive. I just assumed, like the original snap caps, that they were sourced from Parker Hale in England.

Eric, having bought your D-Grade Repro new, I'm surprised to hear that the snap caps weren't included. I had thought that all the new guns included them. When I purchased my 1st Repro back in 1995 during the closeout, there was a note with the gun and case saying that new buyers would be receiving the snap caps at a later date. Mine came a few weeks later and every subsequent Repro DHE that I've purchased have come with the snap caps - but no oil bottle or cleaning rod.

Kirk Potter 03-18-2018 10:14 AM

The oil bottle that was for sale for a ridiculous price on eBay a while back, was marketed as an "A1 Special" oil bottle.. I've been trying to gather everything that would of came with my reproduction, I didn't know that the oil bottles weren't included from the factory.

Scot Cardillo 03-18-2018 11:00 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Yes Kirk, that was the one. If I don't see an oil bottle while lusting over high grade offerings, I consider the set incomplete; perhaps that's flawed logic?

The first photo I posted of a PR flyer shows what appears to be the same bottle that resides in my safe. I can't say for sure because the knurl upon the cap isn't visible. (script looks the same from here)

The knurl on mine is single-lined and angled in a manner that could be achieved by removing one of the knurls in a standard diamond knurling set. Or, one made specifically for the pattern using a simple bump knurling technique. One thing's for sure, the knurl's not cut.

Here's another PR flyer that shows an unmarked oil bottle. I'd be surprised if Reagent would use an aftermarket oil bottle bearing their name in one of their flyers, as shown in the first pic, but, who knows?

Greg Baehman 03-18-2018 11:46 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Lookie here! :
https://m.ebay.com/itm/Original-Rare...6554558?_ul=SV

Gary Laudermilch 03-18-2018 05:47 PM

Of the four repros I have only one had an oil bottle but all had snap caps. All were used when purchased. The oil bottle I do have is marked Parker Bros. on the cap and made in England on the bottom. It has no knurling on the cap. It is quite heavy for its size.

John Nagel 03-18-2018 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gary Laudermilch (Post 238513)
Of the four repros I have only one had an oil bottle but all had snap caps. All were used when purchased. The oil bottle I do have is marked Parker Bros. on the cap and made in England on the bottom. It has no knurling on the cap. It is quite heavy for its size.

Neat that yours says parker bros and not Parker reproduction.

I just saw a set of snap caps in 28ga today that only said parker and not parker reproduction.

Scot Cardillo 03-18-2018 07:10 PM

1 Attachment(s)
My oil bottle is identical to the one pictured in Gregs post. Aside the script atop the cap, there are no other markings anywhere. (e.g., made in..) I wouldn't define it as particularly heavy for what it is.

Here's a picture showing the caps profile

Eric Eis 03-18-2018 07:15 PM

Honestly Greg mine may have come with snap caps, it was a long time ago, but I do know positively that it didn't come with an oil bottle or cleaning rod.

Kenny Graft 03-19-2018 09:17 AM

I have noted some variation in snap caps logo. Some not as pronounced and lighter stampings, some have different type script as I remember. I will look at my collection when I return home. Oil bottles have good heavy stampings on the two or three I own. They are very scarce items and the ones I own came with guns. I would say original Emembi supplied, Italy mnf. We need to see examples of the knock offs. I think my A1 special has all the accessories in its maker case...will look at that too. I think a correct new mnf. oiler and rod set would do well! SXS Ohio

Johnny Johnson 03-19-2018 01:51 PM

Another data point - my 28 gauge DHE, purchased new from Abercrombie & Fitch in Buckhead, GA, came with snap caps but no oil bottle or cleaning rod. It was a Christmas present from my wife.

Later,
Johnny

Greg Baehman 03-19-2018 03:48 PM

Johnny, you're spoiled! :bowdown:

Welcome to the forum!

Please tell us more about your little Repro by posting some pics in the "Let's see some wood" thread.

Charles Shelton 03-19-2018 04:17 PM

Both my repros have the full kit and after reading all the above details I must check both and see how different or similar they are. :)
Back with update:
The 20 gauge oil bottle(Parker Reproduction with knurled lid) and snap caps(Parker Reproduction 20 GA).

The 12 gauge oil bottle (Parker Reproduction with knurled lid) and snap caps (Parker Reproduction 12 GA).

The Cherry Wood cleaning rods have no markings on them.

The inside case labels are identical (Parker Reproduction with Winchester at the bottom).

PS - I bought a NIB 20 gauge with single trigger for my wife and she loved it but the stock was too long and she would not let me have it modified, so I eventually sold it. It also had full kit.

Johnny Johnson 03-19-2018 11:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greg Baehman (Post 238551)
Johnny, you're spoiled! :bowdown:

Welcome to the forum!

Please tell us more about your little Repro by posting some pics in the "Let's see some wood" thread.

You're absolutely right Greg. I'm spoiled and a very lucky guy. :) I'll try to get some pictures up in the next few days even though the wood on mine is relatively plain jane.

Later,
Johnny

Greg Baehman 03-20-2018 08:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kenny Graft (Post 238533)
I have noted some variation in snap caps logo. Some not as pronounced and lighter stampings, some have different type script as I remember. I will look at my collection when I return home. Oil bottles have good heavy stampings on the two or three I own. They are very scarce items and the ones I own came with guns. I would say original Emembi supplied, Italy mnf. We need to see examples of the knock offs. I think my A1 special has all the accessories in its maker case...will look at that too. I think a correct new mnf. oiler and rod set would do well! SXS Ohio

Just so there's no confusion, Kenny......The oil bottles and snap caps that Emmebi furnished with Parker Reproductions were supplied to them by Parker Hale in England. This information came directly from Aimo Metelli of Emmebi.

John Nagel 03-20-2018 08:34 AM

Does anyone have a bottle marked just "Parker" or "Parker Bros" that they'd be willing to trade for one marked "parker reproduction"?

Gerry Addison 03-25-2018 09:58 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Took a quick shot of one of my sets that I've collected over the years. I have oil bottles and rods for all my personal guns.

Phil Yearout 03-25-2018 10:42 AM

http://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=23746

Gary Laudermilch 03-27-2018 12:45 PM

Finally Some Pictures

2 Attachment(s)
I have been trying to get some photos of the oil bottle I posted about earlier in this thread. My camera/abilities were just not up to the task so I finally got someone else to make it happen.

John Nagel 03-27-2018 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gary Laudermilch (Post 239243)
I have been trying to get some photos of the oil bottle I posted about earlier in this thread. My camera/abilities were just not up to the task so I finally got someone else to make it happen.

That is awesome! Thank you!

John Nagel 03-27-2018 01:44 PM

Xxx

Carl G. Bachhuber 04-08-2018 09:24 AM

This is interesting. I bought my 28 2bbl. set from Cape way back when. When it arrived there were no snap caps, oil bottle or cleaning rod. In fact there was no case. There was a note that said the case would show up later, which it did, minus the accessories. So were did all the accessories go? Were they removed and resold by Cape Outfitter's?
C.G.B.

Greg Baehman 04-08-2018 10:22 AM

If you bought your Repro new during the closeout, you should have received the snap caps. The oil bottle and the cleaning rod were never (to my knowledge) included with the initial sale.

When I purchased a Repro from Cape Outfitters during the closeout, only the gun, original boxes and a note were initially sent. The note explained that the case and snap caps would be sent later -- which they were.

Carl G. Bachhuber 04-08-2018 01:12 PM

That is when I got it. The caps never made it. They would be fun to add if they could be found for a reasonable price.
C.G.B.

Greg Baehman 04-08-2018 01:21 PM

It'll be a long search before you'll find a new set of 28-ga. Parker Reproduction snap caps for less than what Jeff's Outfitters charges for them. Get 'em while you can.

anthony schembri 02-05-2021 02:38 PM

What would a Parker repo in 20 gauge with Q! And Q2 UN fired condition with exhibition wood go for.
PS I need an oil bottle anyone have one?
Thanks
Anthony

Bob Jurewicz 02-05-2021 05:07 PM

Anthony,
Here is one to guage by:
https://www.gunsinternational.com/gu...n_id=101594060
Bob Jurewicz

anthony schembri 02-05-2021 05:24 PM

THANK YOU

Charles Shelton 02-05-2021 05:37 PM

My Parker repros came in leather cases with all accessories, including the oil bottles.
But I have no spare bottles.

Bob Jurewicz 02-05-2021 05:52 PM

Anthony,
You could get one of these from Jeff's and no one would know the difference. Few bottles have Parker Repro marked.
https://www.jeffsoutfitters.com/prod...el-oil-bottle/
Bob Jurewicz

anthony schembri 02-06-2021 09:32 AM

Thanks

allen newell 02-06-2021 12:55 PM

I just picked up a 20 ga repro NIB, no oil can, cleaning rods nor snap caps. But I love the gun and it comes up to my shoulder like no other.
Now, I think I should pick up another one but in 12 ga for sporting clays.
Repros in my gun cabinet/safe will make my original Parkers cry!

Jeff's Outfitters has the kit and just bought a set for the 20.