Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   General Discussions about Other Fine Doubles (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   LeFever will not open (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=41276)

E Robert Fabian 02-19-2024 05:13 PM

LeFever will not open

1 Attachment(s)
Recently purchased this EE LeFever 12gauge and brought it to the sporting clays course to shoot this weekend. Made it to station 3-4 and after shooting both rounds in gun, 7/8 oz low pressure, gun will not open. First thoughts where firing pin stuck in primer but know thinking top lever is not able to rotate fully. Gun starts to open slightly. Any helpful comments appreciated.Attachment 123882

Dan Steingraber 02-19-2024 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by E Robert Fabian (Post 405810)
Recently purchased this EE LeFever 12gauge and brought it to the sporting clays course to shoot this weekend. Made it to station 3-4 and after shooting both rounds in gun, 7/8 oz low pressure, gun will not open. First thoughts where firing pin stuck in primer but know thinking top lever is not able to rotate fully. Gun starts to open slightly. Any helpful comments appreciated.Attachment 123882

I know nothing about LeFevers but I have had a similar issue with 2 Parkers recently. A 1920's DHE 20 gauge and a 28 gauge repro. It happened with 2 different ammo manufacturers. After doing some investigating I discovered that both types of shells causing the issue had a thicker "lip" on the base of the shell. They went into the gun fine but I assume they expanded to some degree after firing and it was very difficult to to open. Taking the forend off seemed to help.

Milt Fitterman 02-19-2024 07:08 PM

I have had a similar experience more than once over the years. It might have been caused by tight chambers but I am not sure. After firing, the hulls expanded and it was near impossible to get the gun open. Banging it over the knee worked. I think it was the plastic but cannot be sure. Your description of opening slightly is why I think this is the case. If it was mechanical I think it would not budge however if you try over the knee and it does not move then it might be mechanical.

If the firing pins are stuck because the pins are a bit long, banging over the knee works also.

E Robert Fabian 02-19-2024 07:43 PM

Thanks, I have given all I dare over the knee. Believe the issue is that I'm not able to rotate top lever to the open position as pictured.

Dan Steingraber 02-19-2024 07:48 PM

Beautiful gun by the way.

Harold Lee Pickens 02-19-2024 08:59 PM

Too nice a gun to risk forcing. Have some very knowledgeable members here that I hope will respond.

Steve Huffman 02-19-2024 09:13 PM

Have you tried to pull both triggers back at the same time and try to move top lever while doing so as long as the shells are both spent of course?

Steve Huffman 02-19-2024 09:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by E Robert Fabian (Post 405829)
Thanks, I have given all I dare over the knee. Believe the issue is that I'm not able to rotate top lever to the open position as pictured.

After reading your post again I see that you say its starts to open slightly I would think the lever has moved far enough have you taken the forend off and tried to open and are both cocking indicators in?

Chris Robenalt 02-19-2024 09:37 PM

I'm wondering if your safety is hung up on the inside in front of your triggers, and not allowing your lever to rotate all the way to the right? Put your fingers behind the triggers and pull them forward while pushing the lever to the right. Make sure the triggers are as low as they'll go, while pushing the lever. Of course, as mentioned earlier, removing the forend will help if it's stuck firing pins.

Brian Dudley 02-19-2024 10:27 PM

If that is as far as the top lever will travel (in the picture), then it is not enough to open the breech.
The issue likely is the safety reset slide is catching on the triggers.

Try this… with one hand, push on the back side of both of the triggers. Holding them as far forward as they will go. Meanwhile, push the top lever
And see if the gun will open.