Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   New User Introductions (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Finally bought a PGCA membership (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=27992)

Milton C Starr 08-22-2019 07:32 PM

Finally bought a PGCA membership

Well I finally upgraded from forum associate :rotf: .
I still got a few months till I will be in the market for a Parkers but I figured it would be worth the membership to be able to read in the PGCA members only sections .

Its probably a long shot but I hope if I cant find the Parkers im looking for through a dealer maybe I can find one through the PGCA but its a slim chance I reckon but anythings worth a shot .

Having PGCA under the name does look nicer than forum associate as someone else had said .

Rich Anderson 08-22-2019 07:53 PM

What are you looking for in a Parker? I have in the past bought several nice Parkers through here. One of my favorites is a GH 20 with 30 in ch Damascus barrels.

Milton C Starr 08-22-2019 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich Anderson (Post 279749)
What are you looking for in a Parker? I have in the past bought several nice Parkers through here. One of my favorites is a GH 20 with 30 in ch Damascus barrels.

Well Im looking at a 8 gauge lifter G grade .
But its really depends how much I can save up by the end of November when the peanut harvest is over .

A #5 frame or #6 frame hammer gun in either 10 or 8 gauge .
I doubt I will be able to spend over 4900$ Though I suppose I could always just wait and save longer .

I swear that G frame 8 ga has been up for sale since 2011 .
Theres another 8 gauge Parkers listed but the grade is not and the barrels appear to be missing 4"s . The ungraded one is listed in the Parker book as 34" but it now has 30" . Im not against cut barrels as long as its reflected in the price . However the overall condition looks to be better than the G grade .

So im really just hoping to find a large frame hammergun in the 3500-4995$ range . I figure thats about what ill be able to put back come around November and have found some at dealers around that range .

Mills Morrison 08-22-2019 08:48 PM

Welcome aboard! When I bought my 8 bore, I saved and looked for a while. I passed up lower priced 8 bores and finally got what I really want and am glad I did.

Randy G Roberts 08-22-2019 08:54 PM

[QUOTE
Its probably a long shot but I hope if I cant find the Parkers im looking for through a dealer maybe I can find one through the PGCA but its a slim chance I reckon but anythings worth a shot.[/QUOTE]

Welcome aboard Milton. I believe this group knows where every Parker in the world is, well nearly. Post your wants in the WTB and you might be surprised. Best...

Milton C Starr 08-22-2019 09:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mills Morrison (Post 279756)
Welcome aboard! When I bought my 8 bore, I saved and looked for a while. I passed up lower priced 8 bores and finally got what I really want and am glad I did.

I was talking to a gun dealer who handles quite a few Parkers about 8 gauges .
He said they are pretty hard to sell . I guess a few factors come into play .
The restrictions on what you can hunt with them . Most people dont care for the weight and probably other things . Ive had some heavy 10 ga 3.5" guns before .I dont feel I will mind the extra 2lbs of weight . From what I can tell really the only bird you can hunt with them is turkeys . Which works out fine because a friend of my dads has alot of hunting land and he doesnt turkey hunt .

Im 26 and hope to get many years of memories out of what I end up buying . A double 8 gauge has been my dream gun since I was a teenager and now I am close to being able to actually afford one .

I figure that Parker 8 gauge wont go anywhere since its been sitting there for almost 10 yrs it seems .

Milton C Starr 08-22-2019 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Randy G Roberts (Post 279758)
[QUOTE
Its probably a long shot but I hope if I cant find the Parkers im looking for through a dealer maybe I can find one through the PGCA but its a slim chance I reckon but anythings worth a shot.

Welcome aboard Milton. I believe this group knows where every Parker in the world is, well nearly. Post your wants in the WTB and you might be surprised. Best...[/QUOTE]

Thats the plan once I have the amount put back . God willing we dont suffer another Hurricane like last year . Pretty much ruined our harvest season but by all account that one was a oddity .

Mills Morrison 08-22-2019 09:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Milton C Starr (Post 279760)
I was talking to a gun dealer who handles quite a few Parkers about 8 gauges .
He said they are pretty hard to sell . I guess a few factors come into play .
The restrictions on what you can hunt with them . Most people dont care for the weight and probably other things . Ive had some heavy 10 ga 3.5" guns before .I dont feel I will mind the extra 2lbs of weight . From what I can tell really the only bird you can hunt with them is turkeys . Which works out fine because a friend of my dads has alot of hunting land and he doesnt turkey hunt .

Im 26 and hope to get many years of memories out of what I end up buying . A double 8 gauge has been my dream gun since I was a teenager and now I am close to being able to actually afford one .

I figure that Parker 8 gauge wont go anywhere since its been sitting there for almost 10 yrs it seems .

If it goes anywhere there will be more

Milton C Starr 08-22-2019 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mills Morrison (Post 279765)
If it goes anywhere there will be more

That is true , seems like though more hammerless 8 gauges pop up for sale than hammer guns by Parker anyhow . I found a Birmingham made 8 ga but the proof marks on it are kind of worrisome .

I think Pugs has a #4 frame 10 ga , the frame isnt listed but its a hammer gun at 10 3/4lbs . But at the price I think I could find a #5 or #6 frame . Also by the time I can buy maybe there will be more to look at in the market . Its always good to be keep other options open I think .

Mills Morrison 08-23-2019 10:49 AM

Some significant big bore collectors are, unfortunately, no longer with us and that has contributed to prices going down as of late.

Eventually, I would like to add a Quality 2 lifter and Quality 2 toplever 8 to my collection, but have some other goals for the moment, the current one being to enjoy the ones I have and get a few repaired.