Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   Website & Forum - Help & Assistance (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   new user needs advice (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=32776)

john cragan 03-16-2021 10:25 AM

new user needs advice

looking for some info-clarification. looking at a model gh- 20 ga . ser # indicates 1903. barrel steel is advertised as vulcan? were the gh models made with both vulcan and parker special steel? All the ser # match. Any info on this matter is appreciated

Garry L Gordon 03-16-2021 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by john cragan (Post 329055)
looking for some info-clarification. looking at a model gh- 20 ga . ser # indicates 1903. barrel steel is advertised as vulcan? were the gh models made with both vulcan and parker special steel? All the ser # match. Any info on this matter is appreciated

John, GH grade guns did not come standard with Vulcan steel barrels. Vulcan steel was the barrel steel that was standard on VH grade guns. If you are willing to post the serial number of your gun, it might be in the serialization book which would be a good clue to the original specifications on your gun.

Lots of things could happen to a gun since 1903, so the possible variables are many. It's best to have more information, like the serial number. I assume you've checked the information on grades on the home page and know what to look for to determine grade as stamped on the gun frame.

john cragan 03-17-2021 10:54 AM

Thanks Gary

have sent in a request for a letter - which should give tha barrel steel info. . Thanks for the feed back

Dean Romig 03-17-2021 10:57 AM

We have seen a number of Parkers that originally had Damascus Steel barrels that were sent back for fluid steel barrels and the least expensive option was the Vulcan Steel barrels even though this gun, by grade, would have had Parker Special Steel barrels as the correct for the grade option.

john cragan 03-17-2021 11:18 AM

Thanks Dean

As i mentioned, i sent in a request to pgca and hope the reply will shed some light on the subject. i think you may be right and the gun might have been sent back to parker . All the same ser # , but they would probably do that to the replacement barrels as they would have to be produced to the action.
Thanks again for your feedback

Bill Murphy 03-23-2021 10:36 AM

The Serialization Book may tell how the gun was originally shipped. Someone would look it up for you if you would post the serial number.

Chuck Bishop 03-23-2021 12:56 PM

John, I just mailed your letter on 179343 which is a DHE 16ga. with 28" Titanic barrels. I'm guessing I haven't received your request for the GH 20ga. yet. I did make a minor mistake on your letter so I'll revise it and include it with the GH when I get the request.

john cragan 03-25-2021 08:43 AM

Thank you

Request for gh parker iknfo forthcoming.The complete ser# of the gh is 115581.. With my resource it makes the shotgun 1903 manufacture.?. That,s as far as ican go. pending outcome of research request. i appreciate your repl y.
I apoligize for appearing to be reluctant to provide info, but don,t have the item in hand. Have agreed to purchase and will honor the agreement as long as the final inspection is decent. . Have all the specs as provided , with complete ser now. Feel comfortable with vender-seller and hope for the best. .My biggest concern is the question o vulcan steel barrels instead of the parker special steel which to my knowledge was what was supposed to be associatedwith -to the gh grade. Thanks again for your reply and feedback . 2nd request form on the way. . Thanks again - john cragan

Bill Murphy 03-25-2021 09:35 AM

#115,581 was originally made as a 26" Damascus steel GH 16 gauge. The PGCA letter would give you this information to include information on the Vulcan barrels if it is in surviving order book entries. The absence of this information does not mean that the Vulcan barrels were not installed at the Parker or Remington factory. Visual inspection of the gun by an experienced Parker collector would be the last word. John, good luck with a nice gun.