Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   Parker Restoration (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Top Lever went Wobbly: (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=34040)

Bruce P Bruner 08-19-2021 07:48 PM

Top Lever went Wobbly:

First time out with my 1902 GH Hammerless 12 gauge.
First shot, somewhat difficult to open the action. (I only fired one barrel)
Opened the action, retrieved the empty
Top Lever is floppy (easily moves manually left & right with full travel)
What I know:
No lever pressure
Action locks when lever is manually pushed left
Gun cocks and dry fires normally

The top lever directly engages the bolt
The top lever uses a coil spring driven plunger to apply pressure to the lever.

Solutions:
-Exploratory surgery, identify broken part(s), source and replace.
-Send to someone trusted who absolutely knows Parkers.

Recommendations for a master surgeon please.
Thank you

Mills Morrison 08-19-2021 08:10 PM

Best to have someone who knows what they are doing check it out

jefferyconnor 08-19-2021 09:47 PM

An obvious thought is, could be your top lever spring broke. A good gunsmith if available would pull the stock first thing, which requires good screwdrivers and technique, plus a long punch for the sear pin. Once the stock is off it should be clear what broke.

When working on my own double guns, I don’t own a pin punch long enough to drive the pin all the way out. Myself, I wiggle it the rest of the way out out once driven. Reassembly requires, for me, a slave shaft of similar diameter that is pushed out as the sear pin goes back in. I can’t really recommend working on your own guns to most people but I do all my own work when I can, so there is that. Once you know what’s wrong, you could check Numrich or eBay for a replacement. Good luck!

Jerry Harlow 08-19-2021 10:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bruce P Bruner (Post 341351)
1902 GH Hammerless 12 gauge.
The top lever uses a coil spring driven plunger to apply pressure to the lever.

1902 Would have a V-spring. It is broken. Later models used a coil spring in a tube. Requires a V-spring to be fitted. Contact Brian Dudley who can do this for you.

Jerry Harlow 08-19-2021 10:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jefferyconnor (Post 341361)

I don’t own a pin punch long enough to drive the pin all the way out. !

Use a long trim finish nail with the pointed end ground off. It also works for reassemble by pushing it through both sears to be replaced by the original pin as you tap it back through gently while using your thumb to help align the sears so the pin starts.

Harold Lee Pickens 08-19-2021 10:08 PM

Same problem with my VHE 20, Dave Fjelline in Ca. fixed it quickly.

Bruce P Bruner 08-19-2021 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jerry Harlow (Post 341362)
1902 Would have a V-spring. It is broken. Requires one to be fitted. Contact Brian Dudley who can do this for you.

Thank you for that, I guess the newer design was a coil spring.
I'm hesitant to contact Brian, I understand he is booked through the end of the year and not accepting new work at this time. He is indeed "The" Master and having him work on my gun would be an honor, but there are limitations as to what one mortal man can do and still enjoy life.

Cameron Thraen 08-28-2021 12:45 PM

Call Louis Rotelli at 203 788 4920. He may be able to assist.

Chris Robenalt 09-01-2021 03:09 PM

Bruce, your lever spring may not be broke. There's a tiny nipple in the bend of the v spring. It sits down in a hole in the top tang, which keeps it place. It may have fallen of out, due to wear. I've seen it happen a couple of times. Take the receiver off the stock, you'll know right away.

ChrIs, AZ

Bruce P Bruner 09-01-2021 03:37 PM

Chris, I appreciate your insight. I'm not confident to disassemble the gun myself. Steve Bertram over in Boulder has agreed to check it out. He’s within driving distance as I am uncomfortable with shipping so it will get taken care of. I haven’t delivered it yet because my lower back has “Gone South”. I can’t do two hours of driving yet. It’s an easy fix for some guys, I’m not one of them.