Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   Parker Single Barrel Trap Shotguns (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=40)
-   -   BTF (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=25063)

John Davis 08-29-2018 05:58 AM

BTF

On the General Forum there is a thread about Parker Skeet guns. I noticed that the configuration of the BTF on a Parker Skeet gun is different from that of a Parker SBT. Do you ever see any factory cross over? I'm asking because I just picked up a late SB. It's a Remington Parker but I think made during the transition. The barrels are marked Parker Brothers Makers, ...... Of course a fair amount of monkeying around has been done to the gun (we all know trap shooters just couldn't leave these guns alone). However, the BTF "appears" to be original to gun but looks like the skeet configured forend as opposed to the trap configuration. What do you think?

Dave Suponski 08-29-2018 06:03 AM

Pictures John?

John Davis 08-29-2018 06:31 AM

Dave, I figured someone would ask for that. I'll try and take some today and post. Thanks

John Davis 08-29-2018 07:09 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Pictures

John Davis 08-29-2018 07:11 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Couple of more

Dean Romig 08-29-2018 07:37 AM

Can you get a letter on it John? That would be the only way to validate that forend.

That said, it looks quite original to me but would certainly have to have been made like that by ‘special order’ as the shaping of the wood is not like other SBT forends I have seen.

However - the cutout in the wood for the forend iron appears to be too long for the iron... leaving me to wonder...?

John Davis 08-29-2018 07:47 AM

Dean, I agree with everything you said (typed). The gun does letter and the seller is suppose to be mailing me the one he had done. If that doesn't arrive, I'll order another one from Chuck. That being said, all info on this gun is on an IBM card so I'm not holding out much hope for a lot of detail. The ultimate answer doesn't make much difference as this gun has plenty of other non-factory "alterations". It's a shooter no matter how you cut it.

Dean Romig 08-29-2018 08:22 AM

John, the checkering style on your SB made me think of a .410 Parker BTFE (wood only) I once had. Very, very similar in design and style and I always believed it was original Parker but never attempted to document it. They could have been checkered by the same hand.

John Davis 08-29-2018 09:31 AM

Dean, the cut out appearing too long is caused by a shadow in the picture. Not to say that means it’s original. I was wondering if perhaps they could have used a skeet btf in an attempt to use up parts?

Dean Romig 08-29-2018 10:11 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Not possible IMHO John. A Skeet BTF would have been for a SXS gun and would have been considerably wider I think.

Here's the .410 BTF I used to own. The similarities in checkering style are remarkable.