Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   New User Introductions (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   8 gauge/bore as we call them. (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=6690)

wayne morgan 03-22-2012 08:56 AM

8 gauge/bore as we call them.

Hi,any 8 fans over there,us wildfowling boys here in the UK love the big bores,and the sound of a BOOM down on the tide is just awesome, it might be nice to own an American made BIG old girl!. Don't know how much it would cost to import to the UK!

Cheers

Wayne

charlie cleveland 03-22-2012 09:14 AM

welcome wayne.. theres a bunch of us fellows over here in the U S A that shoot 8 bores...we can not hunt wild fowl with them they were outlawed in 1918 to hunt wild fowl but in most states itis lecal to hunt most other things...ive used my 8 ga parker lifter to kill deer with...squirls crows coyote turkey but with a 8 ga loomis made on your side of the big pond....some of our folks such as destrey hoffard don kuss tom armbrust and i think bill murphy have hunted on your grounds...scuse me fellows if i got the info wrong... some of these fellows will pitch in and tell there tails rite...youve found the rite site to talk about big bores 4 8 and 10 s..... charlie

wayne morgan 03-22-2012 12:23 PM

Hi Charlie,thanks for the info.Its nice to chat to other like minded people, with an interest in big bore guns.they are a little heavy when you trudging through salt marsh,but its worth while when you get to hear that Roar. nothing like it

All the best

Wayne

charlie cleveland 03-22-2012 10:12 PM

wayne do you shoot the 8 ga at wild fowl...if so what kinda loads do you use....i reload some myself my normal load is 1 3/4 ounce but my hunting loads are usally 2 1/2 ounce...ive loaded them to 3 ounce but dont get many reloads out of a pound of shot doing it...i too enjoy the big boom of these old guns....charlie

wayne morgan 03-23-2012 05:50 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Charlie there are a lot of boys over here shooting big bores at wildfowl,being a little Island we are never to far from the coast.I don't use an 8 myself yet!!!
But some of the boys in our wildfowling club do.I think most of them use ITM or Bismuth,2 1/4oz I think! I will find out.

PS pictures, 8 bore,1 greylag and a pinkfoot and me on the Severn estuary,not a nice sight I know.

All the best

Wayne

Robin Lewis 03-23-2012 08:58 AM

With that many hunters shooting 8's, is ammunition commercially available there or do they all load their own?

charlie cleveland 03-23-2012 10:35 AM

nice picture of you on the marsh...ive never seen a grayleg except in pictures...are they good to eat... charlie

wayne morgan 03-23-2012 12:47 PM

To answer the first question,they all load their own cartridges,and Greylag geese are good to eat, if they are young roast them in the oven,nice and crispy skin, lovely, I am now starting to Drool.I have a few Mallard in the freezer,I think I will bung one in the oven!!!
with all this talk of tasty wildfowl.

Cheers

Wayne

Destry L. Hoffard 03-23-2012 01:24 PM

I've shot geese and ducks up near Aberdeen and Perthshire in Scotland, also over in the Western Isles. Took an English 8 bore with me and shot quite a few good high birds with it, particularly around Aberdeen. Always good times over there, would like to make one more big trip.

Gamebore used to load commercial cartridges in both black powder and nitro though most of the guys I knew loaded their own.

The big greylags are fun but it's the pinkfoots I liked the best. Shot them under the moon once, that was a rare treat.

Destry

Bill Murphy 03-24-2012 06:29 PM

There seem to be many more eight bores available in the UK auctions than there are over here. I wouldn't think about importing an eight from the US to the UK.