Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   General Discussions about Other Fine Doubles (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Checking the boxes: (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=34933)

Bruce P Bruner 12-07-2021 05:09 PM

Checking the boxes:

5 Attachment(s)
While I've been looking for a Parker with specific characteristics, a straight grip, long barrels and hammers, it's been a futile mission.
My latest, soon to be acquisition, checks all the boxes except one minor detail, it's not a Parker. It's also really old, pre "Not for Ball". Based on the Birmingham Proof Marks, manufactured from 1868-1875.
This one is a Clabrough Side Lever, 32.25" laminate barrels with good bores and locks up tight. I'm a fan of the Clabrough, I have one presently. Both of my Clabrough shotguns were previously owned by the late Lawrence Shelton.
Here are a few photos of my quality, very affordable, straight grip, long barreled antique, soon to be delivered on my doorstep.

charlie cleveland 12-07-2021 05:29 PM

great guns I have one in 10 ga....charlie

Harold Lee Pickens 12-07-2021 05:29 PM

1 Attachment(s)
That's nice, you will like a sidelever. Nice long barrels. I shoot a WW Greener from 1875 with the sidelever on the right, I think I might just have to carry it pheasant hunting this week.

Bruce P Bruner 12-07-2021 05:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harold Lee Pickens (Post 349742)
That's nice, you will like a sidelever. Nice long barrels. I shoot a WW Greener from 1875 with the sidelever on the right, I think I might just have to carry it pheasant hunting this week.

Harold, is the lever fitted for left hand or right handed people? Some opening levers are on the left, while others are on the right side. For me it seems logical for a right handed person to use their right hand thumb on the left side of the action.

Mike Poindexter 12-07-2021 06:43 PM

That's a marvelous laminated steel pattern. Dont think I've ever seen it before, or if I have, I forgot it.:knowbetter:

Bruce P Bruner 12-07-2021 07:02 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Whole gun:

Bruce P Bruner 12-10-2021 09:32 AM

Devil in the Details:

The package was delivered unmolested. Upon unpackaging I was impressed. However with close examination in good lighting I found two hairline cracks coming back from the rear top tang. The cracks go back and then each one takes a 90 degree turn, one into the left wrist through the checkering and the other one extends and takes a 90 degree turn into the right wrist checkering. The damage didn't occur in shipment because some finish had been added to cosmetically disguise the problem. I'm disappointed to say the least.
The stock could be repaired, though a proper job would be expensive and I would be way upside down on the deal. Logically the shotgun will be returned for a refund and I'll only be out for the shipping. It's unfortunate the damaged area wasn't photographed in the listing.
The problem with purchasing a firearm without having it in your hands is not a new one. It's just a risk you take and fortunately the seller has no reservations about the return and refund.
I don't purchase wall hangers, my guns are intended to be used. It's time to turn the corner and resume the hunt. :violin: