Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   General Parker Discussions (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Grade O top lever Hammer 16 with 34" barrels (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=29418)

Harold Lee Pickens 02-20-2020 09:42 PM

Grade O top lever Hammer 16 with 34" barrels

The 34" 16 project came today. Unfortunately a little rougher than I had hoped
, but I believe salvageable. I cant seem to upload pics from my phone to my laptop, so will add them later from my phone. The bores are rougher than I had hoped, but cant show you a picture of those. A quick check with my little drop in choke tool shows a tight IC and tight M--I had anticipated F/F. A letter is available but haven't ordered it yet( ser #46296).
The exterior of the twist barrels is decent, with a small dent 19" from the breech in the left barrel. The ribs are tight. The unstruck barrel weight is 4 lbs and they weigh 3lbs 10.3 oz on my postal scale. There is no frame stamp on the lug, but dont know if they even had a 1 frame or O frame at that time (1885).
The forearm is smooth, with no checkering--there are very few pics of the Quality O gun on the home page, none show the forearm. Did they checker it back then?
I am missing the left hammer. Were hammers ser # to match the gun?- this hammer has #119852, but the barrel, forearm, and frame all match #46296.
One of the parts to the hammer mechanism appears broke, and am no doubt missing a few screws.( I set my self up there!)
The pictures are not of good quality ,but my camera no longer works. And of course I need a stock.
Looking for honest opinions here, you wont hurt my feelings. Hoping to bring her back to life. Probably wont do anything until Hausmann's, when I can show it in person.

Harold Lee Pickens 02-20-2020 09:45 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Pics

Harold Lee Pickens 02-20-2020 09:51 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Pics

Dean H Hanson 02-20-2020 09:52 PM

Harold, The hammers have the same number on the back of them as the rest of stamped parts should.... all matched at one point. With that said, please bring this Parker back. The sum of our parts....

Harold Lee Pickens 02-20-2020 09:56 PM

3 Attachment(s)
More

Harold Lee Pickens 02-20-2020 10:04 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Pics

Harold Lee Pickens 02-20-2020 10:07 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Barrels

Harold Lee Pickens 02-20-2020 10:21 PM

Sorry about the poor quality pictures. I may have found a stock. I would like to have the twist barrels rebrowned. I will have them checked out first of course. I am not a fan of recase coloring, but with a refinished stock and barrels, that may need to be done.

Rick Losey 02-21-2020 06:46 AM

having the barrels evaluated would be your first task of course

its an unusual piece- but as a shooter - the barrels are safe or its a wall hanger

as far as rebrowning - they can be done to less than brand shinny new - refinished with some artificial age showing

i'd certainly like to see it at Haussmans - and the right people to give you gunsmithimg advice will be there

Bill Murphy 02-21-2020 08:15 AM

Harold, you can determine the frame size by measuring the distance between firing pins. One inch for zero frame, 1 1/16" for a #1 frame. How do the bores look after some scrubbing?