Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   Parker Hammer Guns (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   1 Frame Lifter – My Last Rainy Day Gun (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=27039)

Jay Oliver 04-10-2019 04:14 PM

1 Frame Lifter – My Last Rainy Day Gun

10 Attachment(s)
I have been trying to be more disciplined and focus on elevating my Parker collection. However, I can’t help myself sometimes and end up buying some lower grade/low quality guns. I do think I am “rescuing’ these guns in some cases, but it often doesn’t help me improve the overall quality of my collection.

This #1 frame lifter, 1880 12 Gauge with 28” plain twist barrels was just calling my name. It was listed as having cut barrels, but they were 1/8-3/16 inches longer not shorter than the barrel length listed in the serialization book. I have a few lifters like that so I knew the barrels were the original length. The gun weighs 7lbs. 6oz., which makes it my lightest lifter. The LOP is 14 1/2, which is close to perfect for me with a straight stocked gun.

The barrels are pitted more than I would like for the first half of the barrels, but it knew that going in. I was hoping to be pleasantly surprised, but they were just as described. The screws are nice, I think the tang screw may be a replacement.

This will be a fun one to shoot, I’ll start with some black powder loads.

I need to focus on buying a Grade 3 or higher lifter and these rainy day guns get in the way, but again…I have a problem.

Jay Oliver 04-10-2019 04:34 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I wanted to post one more question about this lifter. But first, I re-read my post and wanted to make it clear I am not complaining about this gun at all(I would never do that about a Parker...). It is just that if I bought one nice gun instead several in the lower grade/rough condition/project category, I would have my higher grade lifter. I may start focusing on 1 real nice gun a year, but that sounds crazy when I type it or say it out load :)

I am excited about this lifter. The Parker shield is slightly crooked, though it does look like a real Parker shield not a replacement. I wonder if it is a replacement or got loose and was hammer back incorrectly?

Thanks,

Jay

Mills Morrison 04-10-2019 07:32 PM

Looks like a good honest gun. I bet the shield was put in near quitting time on Friday. It adds character

Richard Flanders 04-11-2019 12:03 AM

"Hi everyone, my name is Jay and I'm a Parker addict"..... "Hi Jay! No worries...you're among friends"

Jay Oliver 04-11-2019 12:33 AM

That's me Richard! And I would probably have say something like "it has been 6 days since I bought a Parker..."

Harry Collins 04-11-2019 08:12 AM

3 Attachment(s)
I have an 1881 lifter that I love to shoot. Very similar to yours except a #2 frame and 30" barrels. Very good dimensions with only about 2 1/2" DAH as I remember. .751 bores and .013 constriction in both barrels makes mine a go to gun. I hope you enjoy yours as much as I do mine. OOPS! it seams I picked the wrong Parker for the middle picture.

Jay Oliver 04-11-2019 11:52 AM

I like that lifter Harry. I should be able to shoot mine over he weekend. It is hard not to like a straight stocked lifter!

Mills Morrison 04-11-2019 11:59 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I think I am going to take the lifter I bought from Jim DiSpagno this weekend looking for turkeys

Jay Oliver 04-11-2019 12:06 PM

If I had to pick my favorite style/type of Parker Lifter, Top Action, or Hammerless(even though I like them all) it would definitely be a Lifter. I have been shooting in a winter trap league at my club with one(a #2 frame with round pistol grip and 32" Damascus Barrels) and that sealed the deal. 1250 shells since January and I should finish 1st or 2nd.

Garry L Gordon 04-11-2019 12:08 PM

I was talking to a friend who collects knives and told him how many shotguns I now had. He also has lots(!) of knives, but when one really nice knife came up for sale at a high price, he said it was just too much for him. I asked him how much money he thought he had in his collection. When he told me, he got a funny look on his face, realizing he could have purchased several really high end knives for what he had in his current collection.

I have the same situation, but I'm not sorry that I own any of the guns I do...but I do sure wish I had more upper end guns. What's a guy to do?! I see lots of our ranks selling lower grade guns, and my guess is that they are "upgrading" their collections. I think this is where a lot of the talk of a depressed market comes from -- guys like me trying to sell guns to buy more guns. I've finally decided to just keep what I have and enjoy the heck out of them...and, of course, buy a higher end gun when I have the funds. :whistle:

I sure like that lifter you posted. I'll bet it will take game and shatter clays. Looks like a great acquisition to me! Barrel pitting, if the barrels are still safe, can be like opening the chokes a bit when used with soft lead shot. Each gun is an individual and has its own character. I like living with them (which means using them and admiring them).