Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   Shotgun Shell Reloading (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   10 gauge to 12/20 gauge adapters (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=33410)

jefferyconnor 05-31-2021 09:00 PM

10 gauge to 12/20 gauge adapters

Has anyone used these with satisfactory results? I’m interested to know the brand and how well they worked for you. It would seem there would be a problem with the gas seal but maybe not.

James Rhodenizer 05-31-2021 09:41 PM

I use 10ga to 12ga little skeeters in my Ithaca Flues 10ga. They work great with target loads. I have 4 so I can shoot a station at sporting clays. I also use 16ga to 28ga little skeeters, but the real savings is in the 10ga. A ten pound 10ga with 12ga target loads has very little recoil. Good luck

Harold Lee Pickens 05-31-2021 10:21 PM

Another type of those were called GaugeMates. The Gold version worked with ejectors. I dont know if they are still made, but may be available on EBAY or Amazon.

David Holes 05-31-2021 10:41 PM

Yes the little skeeters are fun in a 10 ga I use 20 and 12 ga

Milton C Starr 05-31-2021 11:19 PM

I had a pair of the gold Gaugemates but in 10ga/16ga.
They have rubber o rings around them to seal in the chamber.
I didnt particularly care for them, they made my guns really hard to close. Although I had one 10ga that was a little off the face and they would make it close like a vault door.

Im not sure anyone has actually done any chronograph testing with these gauge adapters. The 16 gauge loads I was shooting were 1 1/8oz @ 1350fps and they kicked noticeably harder than the RSTs 1 1/8oz @ 1150 fps. So I dont think the over sized bore is hurting velocity that much .

CraigThompson 06-01-2021 12:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Milton C Starr (Post 335674)
I had a pair of the gold Gaugemates but in 10ga/16ga.
They have rubber o rings around them to seal in the chamber.

The OP I think meant the smaller wads sealing or filling the larger gauge barrels . I’ve used the Briley shorty tubes in 12 gauge O/U plenty times with no issue if 20 , 28 or 410 . I will say with the shorty tubes 410 factory skeet loads seemed a good bit louder coming out of a 12 gauge barrel .

jefferyconnor 06-01-2021 03:13 AM

That’s correct 6pt-Sika, I was wondering how the shot charge/wad seals down the barrel and if there was a velocity drop. I’m inclined to guess 10 to 12 would work fine. I remember Stan Baker used to essentially put a 10 gauge barrel on 12 gauge guns for better patterns, maybe “flatter”.

It’s a fair point about chamber sealing though, anyone had trouble with inserts regarding that?

So far we have gauge mate, skeeter and Briley as available brands to check out.

Dave Noreen 06-01-2021 04:26 PM

I'm only set up to reload five gauges and 10-gauge isn't one of them. I've had good luck with the 10- to 12-gauge Gauge Mates and my Remington STS 12-gauge reloads. I also have a set of the Browning Little Skeeters but it is often difficult to get the empty hull out of them.

Paul Harm 06-02-2021 11:27 AM

I don't believe the Gaugemates had a rubber o ring. Those were Chambermates. At least all the Gaugemates I've had or still own never had o rings. The Golds came in a soft case with a brush and tool to remove them. They also had part of the lip removed so they could be used with ejectors. They also cost 150 compared to the $50 " Silver " Gaugemates. I only got bit one time. After that I'd just grind off a 1/4 of the lip and have the same thing without the little accessory pack. At one time I had 12/28 and they worked of skeet ok. I never did understand how the bore could be so much bigger and still work. Guess everything happens within the shell. They aren't made anymore. The last I knew was they only were making adapters for pistols or rifles.

Milton C Starr 06-02-2021 01:22 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul Harm (Post 335817)
I don't believe the Gaugemates had a rubber o ring. Those were Chambermates. At least all the Gaugemates I've had or still own never had o rings. The Golds came in a soft case with a brush and tool to remove them. They also had part of the lip removed so they could be used with ejectors. They also cost 150 compared to the $50 " Silver " Gaugemates. I only got bit one time. After that I'd just grind off a 1/4 of the lip and have the same thing without the little accessory pack. At one time I had 12/28 and they worked of skeet ok. I never did understand how the bore could be so much bigger and still work. Guess everything happens within the shell. They aren't made anymore. The last I knew was they only were making adapters for pistols or rifles.

These are the ones I had but in 10-16ga. I didnt really care for them they didnt extract well and the orings were fragile .Never tried any like the little skeeters but if I was to buy chamber adapters again I would probably go with something like those .Or if I was going to shoot that many sub gauge shells spend the money on the Briley tubes .