Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   General Discussions about Other Fine Doubles (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Possible purchase, does this seem ok? (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=39581)

Peter A Van Tassell 07-08-2023 10:20 PM

Possible purchase, does this seem ok?

Hello everyone,

I don't post often, but I do read and lurk a lot. I am considering purchase of an LC Smith double 12 in Grade 1 according to the seller. Their photos look acceptable for the price.

My question is, they claim a build date of 1894, with a serial of 38122. Now here's where it gets interesting: they claim 3" chambers. This makes me a tad nervous because it is Damascus barreled, thinking maybe they were re-cut a bit too thin? Would Elsie have offered a 3" chamber originally?

The seller is 1200 miles away, so it's not like I could measure the wall thickness myself, and I'm not sure if they are equipped to do so. Thanks for any insight you can provide.

--pete

Bill Murphy 07-09-2023 12:29 AM

So you can't measure and he can't measure, but someone has to. If a letter doesn't give you information, you have to assume 2 1/2" or 2 5/8" factory chambers. A half inch drilled into the chambers of a Damascus gun is a lot.

Aaron Beck 07-09-2023 06:12 AM

Make the gun purchase contingent on inspection. You could ship it to a third party gunsmith to review the barrel condition.

Peter A Van Tassell 07-09-2023 06:43 AM

Thanks guys, I suspected as much. I'll probably pass on it, there are others I can get for the same price or better. It's surprising how many of these guns were butchered though. I'm currently looking at another one that is completely original and untouched, for $400 less.

Bill Murphy 07-09-2023 10:09 AM

I have an early Grade 1 Damascus Smith that is a wonderful gun showing great craftsmanship.

Dave Noreen 07-09-2023 11:41 AM

I don't have access to any ammo catalogs dated 1894, but the 1895 UMC catalog offers their 12-gauge TRAP, SMOKELESS, NITRO and BLACK CLUB shells in lengths up to 3-inch.

Peter A Van Tassell 07-09-2023 11:53 AM

Wow, thanks (!!) I did not think anyone used 3-inch that early. It's a bit reassuring to know that, but -- it's still a couple thousand dollars to bet on it. I think I will wait till I hear back from the other fellow (as well as my FFL). Thanks again!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Noreen (Post 391670)
I don't have access to any ammo catalogs dated 1894, but the 1895 UMC catalog offers their 12-gauge TRAP, SMOKELESS, NITRO and BLACK CLUB shells in lengths up to 3-inch.

Brian Dudley 07-09-2023 01:07 PM

Some of the LC Smith dating info that is out there can be confusing and spotty/inaccurate.

What do the LC guys say about it?

Peter A Van Tassell 07-09-2023 02:39 PM

Well, I up and closed the deal for the other one I was looking at. It is in similar if not better condition, and almost no question of if it has ever been messed with. Appears totally original, and it was a few hundred cheaper. Now I just have to wait for the delivery and FFL.... finding ammo for it is going to be fun. I'm planning on reloading eventually, but I would like to find some factory low-pressure loads first. Unfortunately my state no longer allows loaded ammo via mail. My FFL can take delivery however. Any recommendations for a 1-ounce low pressure brand?

Drew Hause 07-09-2023 06:43 PM

From the beginning, unless requested otherwise (and so stamped) 12 gauge hammer and hammerless L.C. Smith chambers were 2 3/4".

A 1898 Crown Steel Pigeon Gun

https://photos.smugmug.com/LC-Smith/...3%20Inch-L.jpg

2 7/8" & 3" chambers were not uncommon on guns for Live Bird and Inanimate Target shooting - not for more powder or shot but additional wadding.

Unfortunately the 1890 - 1913 Hunter Arms shipping records, unless for a high grade gun, have limited information and are unlikely to document a special order chamber length.

It is not uncommon to find barrels with lengthened forcing cones that have had the chambers lengthened in the process :(