Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   Parker Reproductions (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   A Parker Repro Collection (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=31858)

Greg Baehman 12-12-2020 04:25 PM

A Parker Repro Collection

2 Attachment(s)
The Jan/Feb 2021 issue of SHOOTING SPORTSMAN magazine includes a feature article written by David Trevallion entitled "A Parker Repro Collection - A visual feast of rare smallbores". In this article Trevallion shows us several of the rarest .410 and 28 bore Parker Repros on the planet owned by one unnamed collector, including three Parker Reproduction Invincibles (2nd pic below) along with A-1 Specials, BHEs and one BHE with D-Grade engraving (one of three known to me). It is reported in the article that there were only 41 .410 Parker Repros ever built and this gentleman's collection includes 11 of them, to go along with 13 28 gauges -- all of them hi-grades!

Any fan of Parker Reproductions and Parker Bros. smallbore guns are in for a real visual treat and a little insight into one man's collection.

Reggie Bishop 12-12-2020 04:39 PM

Got my copy in the mail today. Interesting article for sure.

Gary Carmichael Sr 12-12-2020 04:48 PM

That is on heck of a collection! Gary

Brian Dudley 12-12-2020 07:32 PM

I was wondering when those guns were going to be seen completed.

I know that my Shooting Sportsman subscription is lapsing. I hope
Not before this issue...

John Dallas 12-12-2020 08:22 PM

I suspect I will be drummed out of the corps, but...

A Reproduction ain't the same as an original. Kinda like the reproduction Ford Cobras - nice cars, but...

Investing Mr. Gournet's talents on these is like having Van Gogh paint flames on a '53 Chevy

Dean Romig 12-12-2020 08:24 PM

Hmmm... I think another visit with David might need to be put on my calendar.

David told me this follow-up article was coming up, I didn’t know when though. I know who he was working with on the article, does David attribute co-authorship to anyone?

Brian Dudley 12-12-2020 08:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Dallas (Post 318463)

A Reproduction ain't the same as an original. Kinda like the reproduction Ford Cobras - nice cars, but...

Investing Mr. Gournet's talents on these is like having Van Gogh paint flames on a '53 Chevy

What is the difference between doing the work to a repro or an original? Or any other gun for that matter. A canvas is a canvas.

Dean Romig 12-12-2020 08:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Dallas (Post 318463)

I disagree John.

No, a Repro isn’t the same as an original but in terms of materials, design, functionality, in fact the Repros are exact copies of the original Remington Parkers that Tom Skeuse sent to Japan to be copied, detail for detail.

But this an exchange of opinion that has been hashed over again and again over the years.
But there - you expressed your opinion and I expressed mine and we’re no closer to arriving at a consensus than before.
We can find “faults” (things we are not fond of) with the original Meriden guns, the Ilion guns and the Japanese Repros as well, but IMO they are all Parkers.

Greg Baehman 12-12-2020 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dean Romig (Post 318466)
I disagree John.

...and I'll 2nd that!

Dean, if you enlarge the 1st pic I posted above you'll see in the lower left corner: "by David Trevallion photographs by William Geoffrey Wood"

Ken Hill 12-13-2020 10:47 AM

Why is David T writing about Parker repros? His expertise is Brit guns and especially Purdey's. Has he been in th e US too long? :)