Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   Parker Restoration (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Can't read the adobe thing to research a 16 PH (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=1215)

Francis Morin 01-12-2010 05:42 PM

Can't read the adobe thing to research a 16 PH

I just acquired a 16 PH with 26 inch Twist barrels in VG condition- SN is 133556. When I tried to enter this data I get a pop-up blocker, so I don't know if this gun will be "lettered" or not- WK stamps all numbers match, barrels are uncut, no dents and bores shiny with no fouling- 3 lb. 8 oz. stamped weight with WK in oval- forearm iron only has sn- the outer latch is engraved PAT'D MAR. 26, 1878- water table right barrel side- PAT'D JAN 18 AUG 18 1887 May 7 Oct 8 1889 PAT'D AUG 15 1905- letter grade stamp is P (no number stamp - PH guns were grade No. 1, right?? then sn 133556- last three digits on bottom of trigger plate as seen from the lug opening, also on back edge of barrel lug, and it has the 12.5% pinned wear plate- 14.25 LOP to older spurred DHBP with engraved screw heads, pg with original cap and screw-- any info from the Brethern here would be appreciated- Thanks- FM:cool:

Dave Suponski 01-12-2010 06:04 PM

Francis,Gun number 133556 is not in the"Book" Sorry....:nono:

Tim Sheldon 01-12-2010 06:07 PM

Run, how did your pup hold point on a damascus 16ga? Last I knew you were a tried and true 12 gauge guy that didn't want anything to do with those, I think you called them lawyer loving barrels.

Did you bump your head? :)

Tim

Francis Morin 01-12-2010 06:09 PM

Thanks Dave- sorry there "Casey Stengel" too!!

[QUOTE=Dave Suponski;11047]Francis,Gun number 133556 is not in the"Book" Sorry....:nono:[My favorite AL team has always been the Yankees- and old Casey "Der Perfesser" Stengel once said "Well, you can always look it up in the book somewhere"_ Not talking about Parkers I guess- any way to find out what the factory specs were when this PH was finished (1906? maybe) it has all the black and grey Twist/Damascus swirl pattern in the barrel tubes, beautiful flame walnut and the stock, grip and forearm checkering intact- may have had an over coat of finish- gold shield with no initials or nail heads evident- sweet little 16- my first--well, since my old 1897 Winnie back in HS- 16 gauge as I recall-:bigbye:

Dave Suponski 01-12-2010 06:20 PM

Well kid I think we can officially say that "You have been bitten"...:rolleyes:A damascus gun? And a sub gauge at that! What the hell is this world coming too.....Next thing ya know you will be anouncing that you are looking for a 20 gauge damascus gun to go with the twist gun...:rotf: And the slow spiral begins....

On a serious note....Order a letter if you want the original specs.

Robin Lewis 01-12-2010 06:21 PM

I put your ser# in the Research Letter page and it said:

The PGCA Serial Number Database indicates
that there are surviving Parker Factory records for your gun

Francis Morin 01-12-2010 07:21 PM

Should I sent in on the PGCA form for the letter then?

[QUOTE=Robin Lewis;11051]I put your ser# in the Research Letter page and it said:

[FONT=Verdana][FONT=Sylfaen][SIZE=3]The PGCA Serial Number Database indicates
[B]that there are surviving Parker Factory records for your gun[/- Thanks Robin- I think I discovered the "gremlin" If I access the Forum in reply to my e-mails through the PGCA- I get the "pop-up blocker" on the other areas of the entire website- If I go to the top of the htt/www. thingy printout and enter the PGCA forums- then the pop-ups don't pop-up so often--
I will also try to get digital computered fotos of this, as I went to your first rate Grades listings and I didn't see a Grade 1 (PH) with the Twist Damascus tubes with the sworls and black and grey pattern as on this gun- may also try a montage with some pheasant tail feathers and my gunning bag and see if it garners any votes for the Parker of the Month- down the road-

I shoot my shotguns way far better than I do fotos or punch in data on this Dell (E inverted 90% off top dead center- why?) keyboard gizmo--:duck:

Francis Morin 01-12-2010 07:31 PM

Pup On point- wish I had a pointing Lab- but No--

[QUOTE=Tim Sheldon;11048]Run, how did your pup hold point on a damascus 16ga? Last I knew you were a tried and true 12 gauge guy that didn't want anything to do with those, I think you called them lawyer loving barrels.

Did you bump your head? :)

Tim[- As a matter of fact Tim, I did- last week taking my Grandgal (age 4) Sophia Anastasia- down the old snow crusted hill on a 80 year old toboggan- we hit a "speed bump" and went airborne- it cracked the toboggan a bit, I was wearing my insulated Carhartt's bib pants and heavy coat with hood, plus a wool watch cap- I pulled her into my bulk to cushion her, and ended up with a small goose egg on the "olde dome"- she was unhurt, but of course, a little shaken up at first- later, she wanted to do it again- but as Clint Eastwood once said "Man oughta know his limitations"--

My lab Khartoum is a flusher- great retriever on ducks and geese, but at age three, likes to chase the "Ditch Parrots" a bit- but I hunted last Sat. at our Club on the after lunch pick-up with two Yellow Labs- pointing variety- wow, nice close working, solid on retrive, great noses and bird sense. Khartoum is a one man dog- and I am that one man- if I were to hunt him with another Lab he would sulk and shut down- hope he'll grow outta that some day-soon

I may have called the Damascus/Twist tubes "lawyer traps" after my Mike McIntosh 101 reading, but having attended a few Clays shoots with the "brethern" and learned from them a bit of the ins and outs of that, I went for the PH- what a sweetheart- perfect balance, for a lower grade Parker for that era (1906?) what a nice piece of well flamed walnut and the fit of the stock shield and the black DHBP-- like a Irish redhead with green eyes in Tommy Doyle's near closing time- I let my heart over-run my normal reticence to invest in anything but either a 12 or a std (NOT 3.5") 10 bore-:cool::rolleyes:

Francis Morin 01-12-2010 07:34 PM

Yup- in for the dime, in for the dollar--

[QUOTE=Dave Suponski;11050]Well kid I think we can officially say that "You have been bitten"...:rolleyes:A damascus gun? And a sub gauge at that! What the hell is this world coming too.....Next thing ya know you will be anouncing that you are looking for a 20 gauge damascus gun to go with the twist gun...:rotf: And the slow spiral begins....

On a serious note....Order a letter if you want the original specs. My next "step into the abyss" would be a 20 Hammer parker with 28 or 30" Bernard barrels and the serpentine or "fish-tailed" top lever and the stock shield behind it at the top tang area- and a Skeleton Steel BP-Hey, a guiy can dream, can't he--??:bigbye:

Tim Sheldon 01-12-2010 09:42 PM

Francis, welcome to the dark side! Enjoy that little bugger.

Tim