Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   General Discussions about Other Fine Doubles (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Rifled Slug/Ball Deer Side by Side (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=32617)

jefferyconnor 02-27-2021 07:42 PM

Rifled Slug/Ball Deer Side by Side

I received a couple old Double Gun Journals recently and Sherman Bell had an article about a rifled 12 gauge side by side with Hastings barrels fitted up. Does anyone happen to have any guns like that they could post about, maybe with pictures? I'm interested in original or custom shotguns set up to fire slugs or balls. I searched here and found out that Parker actually made original guns that way too. Dewey Vicknair made a custom Fox like that also. Besides that, CSMC makes 20 gauge rifle shotguns.

Jay Gardner 02-27-2021 08:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jefferyconnor (Post 327338)
I received a couple old Double Gun Journals recently and Sherman Bell had an article about a rifled 12 gauge side by side with Hastings barrels fitted up. Does anyone happen to have any guns like that they could post about, maybe with pictures? I'm interested in original or custom shotguns set up to fire slugs or balls. I searched here and found out that Parker actually made original guns that way too. Dewey Vicknair made a custom Fox like that also. Besides that, CSMC makes 20 gauge rifle shotguns.

Jaquas had one a decade or more ago. An English gun marked for buck and ball. The barrels were not rifled but there were twists visible in the barrels, almost like twisted ripples. It was a neat gun, I can’t recall make but it was not a name I recognized.

Jay

charlie cleveland 02-27-2021 09:38 PM

there was a 16 ga lc smith double rifled slug gun floating around for sale a few years back on the auction sites...I should have bought it.our own brian was making a slug gun a few years back maybe he will chime in about it...I too have always been interested in these guns...I shoot a parker 8 ga lifter with 2 ounce round balls but it is not accurate beyond 30 yards...it will kill a deer quick if you can hit him or her.....charlie

CraigThompson 02-28-2021 03:06 PM

One of the auction houses had a Parker 12 gauge hammerless in the last two years that was supposedly rifled . Seems to me it was Rock Island , I was called to do a phone bid but it shot above what I was willing to go so I never made a bid .

CraigThompson 02-28-2021 03:17 PM

FWIW , I cast my own slugs for the 10 , 12 , 16 , 20 and 28 all in the design of the Lyman 525 sabot slug ( if you don’t know what they’re like they look like a air rifle pellet on steroids ) . I also cast a couple other slugs for the 8 and 10 gauges as well as roundballs for the 8 , 10 and 12 . But to meet my parameters they only need to do well out to 25 or 30 yards . I do however have a GH 16 with slightly snipped barrels that shoots my slugs well out to 50 yards . My only rifled shotguns any longer are a Savage 220 bolt slug gun and a Jastings barrel for an A-5 Magnum .

jefferyconnor 02-28-2021 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CraigThompson (Post 327414)
FWIW , I cast my own slugs for the 10 , 12 , 16 , 20 and 28 all in the design of the Lyman 525 sabot slug ( if you don’t know what they’re like they look like a air rifle pellet on steroids ) . I also cast a couple other slugs for the 8 and 10 gauges as well as roundballs for the 8 , 10 and 12 . But to meet my parameters they only need to do well out to 25 or 30 yards . I do however have a GH 16 with slightly snipped barrels that shoots my slugs well out to 50 yards . My only rifled shotguns any longer are a Savage 220 bolt slug gun and a Jastings barrel for an A-5 Magnum .

I wonder how much more accurate the rifling actually makes foster slugs or balls anyway? Sherman Bell's gun was a Greener I think with sleeved Hastings barrels. It's got to be expensive to have that done!

Jim McKee 02-28-2021 06:28 PM

The H&H paradox SXS were/are very accurate at 100 yds +
Jim

jefferyconnor 02-28-2021 09:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim McKee (Post 327430)
The H&H paradox SXS were/are very accurate at 100 yds +
Jim

Those were only rifled at the end of the barrels, right?

Jim McKee 02-28-2021 10:45 PM

yes

Bill Murphy 03-01-2021 06:48 AM

There is a 28 gauge Purdey paradox gun floating around recently. It sold at Alderfer's several years ago but my bid was not aggressive enough. I had the gun lettered and it is for real. The letter is in my files.