Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   General Discussions about Other Fine Doubles (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   BEAUTY AND THE BEAST (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=32194)

Jerry Harlow 01-18-2021 10:22 PM

BEAUTY AND THE BEAST

1 Attachment(s)
It's hell getting old. I always pack up my guns the night before in a two gun case. Always carry a spare dove hunting, and try to take a different gun every time. Got twenty minutes from home after loading up the dog and remembered my brushed in goose blind was in the back of the truck in my Jet Sled in which I carry everything to the dove field. That meant one thing. I forgot my guns. Instead of being set up before light I was nearly an hour late. Doves already feeding when I arrived on the next to the last day of the late season.

Took a gun I had never shot just for the heck of it, a Lefever Nitro Special in 12, a beast. I bought one just to say I had one. Made by Ithaca of course and not really a fine double, but to many an old timer this was as good as they could afford and to some was their pride and joy. Took an early Fox A grade as a backup, the beauty, but never used it. Would have had an easy limit if I had not forgotten to take the most important item. Seems I always forget something. last week it was my bucket seat with all of my decoys and battery for the Mojo.

Today I noticed a neat feature on the Nitro Special, a Prince of Wales style grip. I can't think of any other cheap double from the period that had such a pleasing grip somewhere between a pistol and a straight grip. It was barrel heavy but I shot it well with M&F chokes.

Phillip Carr 01-19-2021 12:37 AM

Jerry the most important thing I ever forgot was my........3 dogs. Worst part was one of the members here was a witness.

Garry L Gordon 01-19-2021 08:10 AM

Ha! We are heading out to hunt Iowa quail today, and your post reminded me I'd not put my guns in the truck since cleaning them.:banghead:

Thanks for the timely reminder!:bowdown: You are not alone in your memory issues. I like to call it preoccupation.:)

(I love those old Nitro-Specials and have a pristine 16 and rode-hard-and-put-away-wet 12. Both work when I do my part.)

Stan Hillis 01-19-2021 08:37 AM

Great job on late season doves, Jerry. I hope you end the season today with a full limit. Oh ....... don't forget anything! :rotf:

SRH

charlie cleveland 01-19-2021 12:35 PM

yep you aint alone in forgetting things....if I put something were I wont lose it I might as well throw it away because I will never find it again...charlie

Gary Carmichael Sr 01-20-2021 09:01 AM

But Charlie look how much fun it is to find something that has been lost, just like Xmas morning! Gary

Rich Anderson 01-20-2021 04:09 PM

Now you have me thinking what haven't I thought of?? I'm leaving Monday for a quail hunt in Georgia and haven't looked at a shotgun since November:shock: Now where is the charger for the collars??
I won't forget the guns simply because I haven't decided which ones to take.:)

Jerry Harlow 01-20-2021 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by charlie cleveland (Post 322439)
yep you aint alone in forgetting things....if I put something were I wont lose it I might as well throw it away because I will never find it again...charlie

Charlie,

I did that with a Go-Pro camera two years ago. Still can't find it. Bought another one.

Phil Yearout 01-21-2021 03:03 PM

Nothin' wrong with that "beast"; according to Keith Crowley that's what Gordon MacQuarrie shot and he did OK.

Erich Bretschneider 05-10-2021 11:02 AM

I have a 20ga Nitro Special that someone built into a skeet gun for a small person, it fits me perfect, I did buy it for my wife. I shot my highest score ever in International Skeet at the state shoot when my 24gram ammo didn't show up for my competition gun they let me shoot the 20 with 7/8 oz loads.