Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   General Parker Discussions (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Good For Another Years (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=24909)

Mike Franzen 08-09-2018 11:04 AM

Good For Another Years

3 Attachment(s)
On my way to Maine back in May to Turkey hunt with the Tenth Legion and PGCA members Jim Wescott and Niles Oesterle, I made a detour to Ilion, NY. I paid a visit to the Larry Del Grego & Son Gun shop. Earlier I had spoken to Larry about doing some repairs on my VH 16 ga, O frame with 30” barrels. Weighing just 6 lbs, 4 oz it is a pleasure to carry and it fits me perfectly. He replaced the roll pin, repaired the automatic safety, replaced and blued the screws and cleaned and greased the action. He assured me she’s good for another hundred years and promised I would get it back in time for opening day of dove season. While at the shop I was given a tour which included the inner sanctum of the gun vault. What a sight! When I opened the box, he had placed this nice reproduction of a Parker brochure. Nice touch.

Mills Morrison 08-09-2018 02:14 PM

Very nice! I came close to getting a Parker just like that this year.

Mike Franzen 08-09-2018 02:34 PM

It’s a great bird gun. I have become a huge fan of the 16 gauge.

Michael Meeks 08-09-2018 07:50 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Nice VH16! Larry also gave me a few of those brochures and a tour of the vault when he worked on my VH20. Pretty cool stuff in that vault!

Mike Franzen 08-10-2018 01:28 AM

Mike, that’s a nice looking gun you have there. The figure in the stock is beautiful. Is that a Remington era gun?

Michael Meeks 08-10-2018 11:26 PM

Thank you! No, it is a Meriden gun; 1925. Sadly, not the original stock when I got the gun. Someone had made a poor attempt at re-stocking at some point in the gun's past. The guardbow didn't fit right at all, wrong PG cap, missing shield, wrong butt plate, and the proportions of the pistol grip to the tang were all wrong. Larry restocked it for me to my dimensions. The FE wood is still original.

John Davis 08-11-2018 06:14 AM

Mike Franzen, I'm thinking that gun is good for at least two limits of dove a day. Of course that wouldn't be legal, so you'll just have to walk off the field early.

Brian Dudley 08-11-2018 09:56 AM

You would think after all this time they would figure out how to put the proper comb flutes on the different eras of guns. I guess old habits die hard.

Mike Franzen 08-11-2018 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Davis (Post 250380)
Mike Franzen, I'm thinking that gun is good for at least two limits of dove a day. Of course that wouldn't be legal, so you'll just have to walk off the field early.

No doubt the gun can handle two limits of dove a day with no problem. Now me on the other hand well, you’ve seen me shoot.

Michael Meeks 08-11-2018 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian Dudley (Post 250401)
You would think after all this time they would figure out how to put the proper comb flutes on the different eras of guns. I guess old habits die hard.

Your point is well taken, but doesn't really add anything to this thread. That gun stopped being collector quality long before I owned it. While it may not be correct to the era, I'm happy with the appearance of the stock. I chose Del Grego because of their historical connection to Parker. The gun fits me fine, I shoot it well, and the grouse don't really care about proper comb flutes...