Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   General Parker Discussions (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Do U find early non-SxS's interesting? (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=31228)

Craig Larter 09-24-2020 05:09 PM

Do U find early non-SxS's interesting?

Just wondering if you guys find non-SXS's from the say 1895 to the 1920's interesting, collectible and fun to shoot?? Guns like the 1897 Winchester, Model 10 and 11 Remington, 1912 Winchester etc. These guns killed the double gun for many reasons. I find the John Browning designed guns to be the most interesting, he was an amazing inventor and in many ways his designs have not been substantially improved upon. Besides our beloved Parkers, AH Fox. Lefever and LC Smiths which were all the result of inventing genius you have to recognize the non-SxS's of the period.
I also think the Vintagers etc. should start promoting shoots for non-SxS's from the golden era. I believe if open to vintage autos and pumps the vintage shoots would attract more folks.
What say you?? My favorite non-SxS is the Remington Automatic shotgun that became the Model 11. The action on a Model 11 is the perfect canvas for engraving.

Brian Dudley 09-24-2020 05:51 PM

I love model 11s. I have owned a number of them. I still have a couple.

Craig Larter 09-24-2020 06:08 PM

Brian the Model 11 is a wonder, it was just not a incremental improvement but a radical departure from gun design of the day.

edgarspencer 09-24-2020 06:24 PM

I have always loved the sound of a '97. I have my Dad's uncles gun, and I remember when the owner of Poly Choke offered to put one on it, my dad reluctantly said OK. Poly Choke was in an old brick mill building on the Farmington River, 2 miles away (Now houses our favorite restaurant )
I have a first year Model 1912 in 16ga, and my first shotgun, a Super Grade model 12 20ga.
The shop sold me the 1912 stupid cheap. He said " You know, you can't get ammo for these anymore":rotf:

I have always had an appreciation for Remingtons, but have not owned a single one. I think it's that 'Ford-Chevy' thing, or maybe because Winchester, Colt and Parker were all well known Connecticut companies.

Craig Larter 09-24-2020 06:33 PM

Many think of vintage shoguns as only doubles, but the repeaters were very much part of the market after the turn of the century.

Ken Descovich 09-24-2020 06:44 PM

I just love old shotguns in general, I have remington model 11, browning A5, winchester model 12 I even have some obscure single shots like the remington 1893 to many to mention.

Phil Yearout 09-24-2020 06:51 PM

My late father-in-law shot a 12ga Model 11, and very well. The only gun I ever knew my father to shoot is a 16ga Savage 775a, also built on that patent. I finally passed that gun on to my nephew last year. Like many here I just love old shotguns, though I don't own any but SxS's and a couple of SBTs. As a 16ga fan I've toyed with a Sweet 16 once or twice but never took the plunge.

Mills Morrison 09-24-2020 06:58 PM

I have at least one Model 12, Auto-5, Ithaca 37 and 870 in my safe.

Rick Losey 09-24-2020 07:11 PM

I have an early model 12 heavy duck - 32 inch solid rib, keep saying I will hunt with it but it never seems to make the rotation.

I grew up with pumps, shot a BPS when steel shot came out and still have my Dad's 870 Wingmaster- never owned any auto

but they just don't do it for me on the whole

James Rhodenizer 09-24-2020 07:33 PM

Our vintager group (Virginia) shoots with the All American Pump Gun Assoc. a couple of time each year. It is a blast. They always have a couple of stations that throw triples. I shoot a couple of old single barrels a few times each year. My favorite is a 20ga. Lefever. They handle a lot differently than anything else.
Every now and then, a change is fun.