Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   Hunting with Parkers (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Turkey Report (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=23930)

Craig Larter 05-01-2018 03:26 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Did my work this morning, I sinned and took my Ithaca Grade 3 Super Ten.

Garry L Gordon 05-01-2018 03:34 PM

A pardonable sin — three h—l Mary’s and you are forgiven (and envied...but wait, isn’t envy a sin , too?!).

Bob Hayes 05-01-2018 04:51 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Besides the Southern SxS NC has a few other things to offer.A buddy and I decided to meet at a friends farm in eastern NC for a few days of turkey hunting before heading to the SxS.
Meeting at Rocky Mount and heading to the farm a week ago Sunday with beautiful weather our hopes were high.
Since private land is hunt able on Sunday now we went that afternoon for a few hours.Really slow with one hen that came in and put on a show.
Monday was different weather still beautiful but going to deteriorate that afternoon.Had a gobbler roosted about 150yds away this morning.He gobbled once.Hens flew down and landed with in 40yds.Gobbler enter our setup about 40yds straight in front in full strut.Brief thought entered my head(this will be easy).My buddy fired and pulled his shot hitting the ground jus right of the bird.
Rest of the day was slow but I suspect the birds were preparing for the coming rain.
Tuesday rain most of the day.It let up about 2pm and I knew we should be out hunting but something told me not to go.We had a cookout and some good company that afternoon.
Next morning(Wed.)we went right to a known roost and were greeted with one or two gobbles.Birds flew down and shut up.At 8am on gobbler enter our corner then another and another then another.Milled around for about an hour.We sat still and quite.As they started to leave I called very softly.One turned and came straight to us.One down one to go.
Made a stealthy exit and and went back to lodge and relaxed the rest of the day.
Thursday decided to go right back to same spot as before.This time with a single hen decoy.Got there very early as I had a another one of those feelings again.Went straight out and set up decoy.Started brushing us in next(530am)birds started gobbling.In fact about 6 birds were gobbling all with in 150yds.Well this concert lasted till about 620am.Three few down at about 55yds and made a beeline straight to us.Second bird down at 625am.
The way the birds were acting you'd have thought it was opening day.Hens cutting and yelping.All the gobblers were trying their best.
What a morning.
Then on to the SxS Show.

Mills Morrison 05-01-2018 04:55 PM

Good job! I am going to try again this weekend with my new back action lifter I bought from the Southern. The season is late and they have gotten pretty wise, so we'll see

Phillip Carr 05-01-2018 06:36 PM

Wow now that’s a heck of a bird. I’m headed to New Mexico in the morning again. Hope to fill my tags.

Reggie Bishop 05-01-2018 06:39 PM

Craig that's a good bird, but wow what an Ithaca!

Todd Poer 05-01-2018 08:27 PM

What a great story Bob Hayes. Holy smokes that bird looks like Freddy Krugar with those hooks. Hope that bird was stone cold dead before you picked him up, those daggers would do a number on you.

Bob Hayes 05-01-2018 08:31 PM

Good luck Mills there's a bird there waiting for you and that new gun.
Good luck to you Phil let us know how you make out.Those NC birds are kind of intimidating after 6 weeks of looking at those little 18lb osceola turkeys.
Hope everyone has a great rest of season and a safe one.

John Marscher 05-01-2018 09:37 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 62395

Savannah river gobbler for you Mr. Morrison. Shame it goes out this Saturday

Mills Morrison 05-02-2018 06:32 AM

Excellent, John!